Is this possible in excel?

PATSYS

Is it possible to, say, maintain a database in separate workbook. Then create a UDF that will just pick data from that database based on certain parameters defined in the UDF like YEAR, Account, Entity?

For example, I have all financial data in the database from year 2000-2006. If I use the UDF, say =specialfunction(2005,110000,Company1), then it will just return the corresponding value from the database?

I am just asking if this is possible in excel and if so, just a broad idea of how difficult is it to set up.

Thanks.

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.

BJungheim

Take a look at the DGET, DSUM, DAVERAGE functions. They should give you what you need....although unless it's going to be a pretty small data set you'd probably be better off going with Access.

PATSYS

Thanks but I was actually thinking of a way to get rid of having to link to an external workbook because this will surely slow the system. I was thinking of hardcoing the values somewhere where I can just type a special UDF in all my files then the values will be there.

Oaktree

MrExcel MVP
Have a look at data --> import external data --> new database query.

Oaktree

MrExcel MVP
Perhaps, though I believe it's included with the Office CDs if it's not already installed on your PC.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rolandbianco