Is this possible or does it already exist? A route planner within excel

soconfused365

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a matrix of distance from all UK postcodes to all other UK postcodes which gives me the distance between them. (All postcodes in column A in a list and then all postcodes in row 1 with the cell populated with the distance between the 2 eg D7 reads 8.6 as that is the distance between the postcodes in D1 and A7)

What I am therefore theorising is that somehow I can use this matrix to create a way to route postcodes into the shortest distance order. If I put in the start location and then 30 random postcodes it will calculate the closest postcode to the start postcode and then the next closest until they are all in order and give a total mileage readout?

I am thinking it would need to look up the distances between every postcode and every other postcode to work out which is the closest and then rank all the options removing the previous postcode from the options as it continues until none are left. Even better if I could somehow set a distance limit eg 150 miles and then it would start a new route with the remaining available postcodes.

Is this even possible before I start trying to work out how to even start creating it? Or is there already an add on somewhere out there that would do this for me?

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catterz66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back