J-Walk Chart Tools alternative?

rd18010

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Back the Excel 2003 era, there was John Walkenbach's "J-Walk Chart Tools" add-in offered as a free part of the paid "Power Utility Pak" utility.
It was the module "Chart Report" that "Produces a detailed report that documents a chart, or produces a report that documents all charts."

That doesn't seem to be available any more.
Is there some modern alternative that can do a report of existing charts, for the purpose of analyzing and documenting a charts design?
E.g., if one downloads someone else's chart, and wants to see how it works.
I would only need to be a read-only type of tool, for information only, with no need to modify anything.

So, what else is out there, in this modern era of Excel 2019 and Microsoft (Office) 365?

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
I've looked at both "The XY Chart Labeler Add-in" and "Peltier Tech Products and Services" and didn't see the reporting ability that the J-walk tool has, to simply dump some info on the charts in a spreadsheet.

Somehow the original "J-Walk Chart Tools" add-in seems to have vanished from the Internet.
Does anyone know if it would even work in the modern Excels?

All the add-ins I've seen so far are about about creating or modifying existing charts, but I'm looking for more of a documentation type reporting tool.

Upvote 0
Sometimes tools are not available forever.

Upvote 0
What I'm also wondering is why someone else hasn't taken the idea, and gone further with with it, in the meanwhile.
I'm hoping someone already knows of something similar, that is out there, but hard to find due to how Internet search is, these days.

Upvote 0
Fortunately I still have my copy of Power Utility Pak.

Upvote 0
Seeing that other J-Walk add-ins were found via the Internet Archive Wayback Machine, I looked, and found the Chart Tool there, too. (I wonder how current it is compared the the one in the PUP.)

Upvote 0
Update: the "charttools.xla" files I downlaoded earlier today turned out to be html files, not Excel add-ins, so will try again tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Update: I went back and was able to get the actual add-in file. It just took an extra step.

BTW, over on Peltier's site, the lesser known "Jon’s Toolbox" does look like a very useful utility, for working with charts, and making up for what Excel can't do, or do very well.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back