KB3178673 and KB3178719 preventing my Add-In from loading

rhinoman42

Hello,

(I have posted this in Microsoft TechNet as well, but have not found a solution yet)

I have a VBA Add-In I've been using on Excel 2010 for quite some time and have an issue whereby for new users on Excel 2016 the Add-In does not load. I believe I've narrowed the problem down the the two KB updates KB3178673 and KB3178719 which I believe were designed to prevent malicious code from executing. If I back out those updates the problem goes away. However, I do not want to disable those updates permanently so I'm stuck.

In Trust Centre settings I have made the Add-In location a Trusted Location and have enabled all macros in Trust Centre settings (to trouble-shoot the problem) but still no luck.

The Add-In shows up in the Add-Ins list (in Options) but is not loaded (I can confirm that as it is missing from the VBA IDE). Oddly, if I manually unload/reload the Add-In it works, but the next time I restart Excel it does not load again.

Further (and this may be a different issue), when I successfully load the Add-In (manually), it is set to create an Add-In CommandBar on the Ribbon, but it does not. However, if I manually run the routine that creates that CommandBar, it is created successfully. If I step through the process (in debug mode) when the Add-In is loaded I can see that the CommandBar is being created, but as soon as the last line of startup code has been executed the CommandBar disappears again.

I have searched extensively through various forums for weeks now and cannot find an answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried unblocking the .xlam file in Windows Explorer?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply RoryA. I saw that on another forum and tried that, and it was a frustrating ordeal in itself as I couldn't see the "Unblock" button. Then I came to the realisation that the button only appears if the file is blocked. So it isn't blocked.

Upvote 0
Assuming you did that check on a machine where it isn't working, have you checked the add-ins list to see if it's being disabled? Also, for an add-in it may be worth checking the option in Excel options to display add-in UI errors on one of the problem machines.

Upvote 0
Thanks again RoryA.

>>have you checked the add-ins list to see if it's being disabled?
Yes, and that's what makes it really odd. In the Add-Ins section of Excel Options, it does appear and is checked, but I can tell by inspecting the IDE that it is not loaded.

>>
it may be worth checking the option in Excel options to display add-in UI errors
Interestingly, I was not aware of that option (assuming it is for 2013 and on), but I have since tested that and no errors are reported.

I think the CommandBar part of my problem has something to do with the MDI in Excel 2013 onward, but this problem is secondary and I can't really address it properly until I can get the Add-In to load.

Upvote 0
Excel 2013+ are actually SDI rather than MDI. ;)

Have you thought about updating to use CustomUI to create your Ribbon tab instead of CommandBar code?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I meant SDI.

I've worked around the first problem by loading the AddIn via a stub XLSM file, not a solution but more of a hack. Oddly, once that problem was resolved the menus loaded fine. Thanks for your help Rory.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Subhash Chand

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back