Looking for advice: Methods to update a table from a data source stored online

blothian

Board Regular
Hi all,

I've got a situation where my office has put together a basic timesheet using an Excel spreadsheet. Currently, users have to manually type each relevant project code, but I wanted to improve upon this (and some other things) by providing a drop-down list for users to choose and also display the name of the project in the adjacent cell to the right, to help ensure the correct project number was chosen. I achieved this creating another sheet where I made a table with 2No. Columns, Project Number and Project Name, and using Data Validation. When the Project Number is chosen from the drop-down, the adjacent cell displays the relevant Project Name, this all works as intended. The problem I have is that our office is head office small and we have people working around the country, either at home or on site, and if the project list was to be updated, I'd have to reissue the XLS file to everyone via email again. What I'm hoping to do is find a way to store the Project Number and Names online, and have that data be read whenever the XLS is opened. I'm looking for suggestions as what the best approach would be to achieve this, and hopefully avoiding any IT issues/restrictions along the way. An alternative approach I had considered was issuing an XLS with the project data every so often via email, and users copy & overwrite the existing file to the root of their documents folder, but that seemed to involve issues with Trusted Locations etc...

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back