Keyboard shortcut to toggle VBA bookmarks

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Is there a VBA IDE keyboard shortcut to toggle bookmarks? If not, can I assign one?

This website claims to list all of the VBA shortcuts, but bookmarks are not listed. Someone asked about bookmarks, but never got an answer.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
I believe MS neglected to create keyboard shortcuts for that. Do you have the EDIT toolbar on in VBA? It has the bookmark icons

I'm a keyboard person also. Keyboard is faster than mouse clicks everyday.

Upvote 0
I believe MS neglected to create keyboard shortcuts for that.
Just one of many neglects. The jerks also neglected to provide me with a way to define my own shortcuts. I guess they were too busy counting their stock options.

Do you have the EDIT toolbar on in VBA? It has the bookmark icons.

I'm a keyboard person also. Keyboard is faster than mouse clicks everyday.
Yep, I have the icons, but, as you say, a keyboard shortcut is faster. It's also more accurate.

Upvote 0
I was thinking maybe one could add a custom control to the VBE Edit commandbar, assing an OnAction and a ShortCutText Properties to it and the OnAction Property would just execute the tooglebookmark button via the Execute Method.

After a little test, I found that custom vbe controls do not respond to the shortcut keys even if you set their ShortCutText Property.

Upvote 0
Alt+EBT is the only one I know of.

Upvote 0
The jerks also neglected to provide me with a way to define my own shortcuts.
The 'jerks' are perhaps not quite as thoughtless as you give them (dis)credit for. ;)

If you have the Edit toolbar visible, right click -> Customize -> be on the Commands tab
Select the 'Toggle Bookmark' icon up on the Edit menu
Back at the Customize interface -> Modify Selection -> Change from Default Style to Text Only (Always) -> click Modify Selection again -> in the Name box, move the ampersand from in front of the T (clashes with activating Tools menu) to in front of the 'g' (at least that is where I put it) [Edit: Though probably in front of the B might be more intuitive for 'Toggle Bookmark']

1589453288399.png

Close the Customize dialog.
Alt+g should now toggle bookmarks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
I had to make some other selections before getting where you were. It worked.
1589479507124.png

Upvote 0
I didn't know there were bookmarks. On the very few occasions I've used this soft of thing over the years, I type in a comment like
'sh!t
and then when I need to find it, use the find dialog box. delete it entirely after debugging

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MhammadishaqKhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back