Lambda Function that works in a TABLE

realmike

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Good evening, hope someone can help.

I am trying to create lambda functions that work in various tables in a workbook.

The worksheet calculates "Year To Date" (a running total) and "Previous Year to Date" (YTD from the previous row)
The functions are kind of long (especially the Previous function) and used in many columns in the tables.

These functions work fine, I'd just like to have them as LAMBDA functions stored as names
Failing that, is there a simpler formula for "previous"? (Avoiding volatile functions)

I can't figure out the syntax, and searching online, I haven't found an answer or even syntax guide. Maybe LAMBDA function needs to 'know' the table name and not just column names?

I have a workbook with about 70 sheets and an identical table on each sheet, just different data. (sales production, one sheet per salesperson). I don't want a separate LAMDA function for each table.

Thank you in advance for any guidance!!!

running total.xlsx
ABC
1SalesSales_YTDSales_Prev_YTD
2$ 3,000.00$ 3,000.00$ -
3$ 5,812.50$ 8,812.50$ 3,000.00
4$ 89.06$ 8,901.56$ 8,812.50
5$ 1,181.25$ 10,082.81$ 8,901.56
6$ 15,500.00$ 25,582.81$ 10,082.81
7$ 4,375.00$ 29,957.81$ 25,582.81
8$ 45.00$ 30,002.81$ 29,957.81
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B8B2=SUM(INDEX([Sales],1):[@Sales])
C2:C8C2=IF(ROW()>ROW(Production[#Headers])+1,INDEX([Sales_YTD],ROW()-ROW(Production[#Headers])-1),0)

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
You can try:

Excel Formula:
=LET(r,ROW(@[Sales])-ROW(Production[#Headers])-1,IF(r=0,0,INDEX([Sales_YTD],r)))

which is a little shorter. But as you've noticed, there is no good way to reference other rows in a table. The rigmarole using the ROW() function is about the only way to do it.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Eric! that works, too, and I suppose it is a little shorter....
Next, I tried to define that as a LAMBDA function, this is the type of error I am getting. Any clues what I am doing wrong?

Attachments

• lambda error.jpg
    lambda error.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0
Anyone have ideas? Still trying to learn how to use a LAMDA function inside a RABLE

Upvote 0
Well, that's not how exactly how to define a LAMBDA. It doesn't have LAMBDA in it. :giggle: I tried before and didn't get too far, which is why I didn't reply again. But I took another shot at it and came up with this:

Book1 (version 1).xlsb
ABCDEFG
2ABCDE
3a1AntCricketN/A
4b2BeetleDragonflyN/A
5c3CricketEarwig1
6d4DragonflyFly2
7e5EarwigGnat3
8f6FlyN/A4
9g7GnatN/A5
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E3:E9E3=Table_Offset(Table1[#Data],[@C],2,0,"N/A")
F3:F9F3=Table_Offset(Table1[#Data],[@C],-2,-1,"N/A")

It's sort of a universal "offset" tool to use within a table. It requires 5 parameters. The data section of the table you're looking at, the origin within the table you want to offset from, the number of rows you want to offset (positive or negative), the number of columns you want to offset (positive or negative), and what you want to display if the cell is outside the table. This is the LAMBDA formula I defined:

Excel Formula:
=LAMBDA(tbl,orig,row,col,nf,LET(tr,MIN(ROW(tbl)),br,ROWS(tbl)+tr-1,lc,MIN(COLUMN(tbl)),rc,COLUMNS(tbl)+lc-1,or,ROW(orig)+row,oc,COLUMN(orig)+col,IF(OR(or<tr,or>br,oc<lc,oc>rc),nf,INDEX(Sheet1!$1:$1048576,or,oc))))

Create a new name, call it Table_Offset, then put that formula in the Refers to: box.

Let me know how it works.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kingjet

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back