large amount of data to reformat for database upload

knpaddac

I have a relatively large amount of date that I need to reformat so I can load it into a database. It is basketball statistics and info if that is pertinent at all. In Column E I have the team name, column F is the ID number associated with the specific game played, and Column I is a comma separated list of the players for that team in that game and the points they scored (the number of players varies from game to game).

data_as_is.jpg

I need each line to end up looking like this:
data_after_delimiting.jpg

And then have each of those sets to be moved over to column A-C, pasted each one after the next.
Currently I was using a macro I recorded to delimit the info in column I by commas and then transpose paste it into column G where I would then use the corner autofill box to expand columns E,F down for each, but there are something like 700 of these games that I will have to work through and more in the future. Can somebody assist me with working out a macro or VBA code that would work through these quicker?

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Hi knpaddac,

Try this:

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub Macro1()

Dim wsSrc As Worksheet
    Dim lngRow As Long, lngRowFrom As Long, lngRowTo As Long, lngPasteRow As Long
    Dim varPlayerStat As Variant

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Set wsSrc = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1") 'Sheet name containing the data. Change to suit.
    lngRowFrom = 2
    On Error Resume Next
        lngRowTo = wsSrc.Range("E:I").Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
        If lngRowTo = 0 Then
            MsgBox "There is no data in columns E to I of tab """ & wsSrc.Name & """ to work with.", vbExclamation
            Exit Sub
        Else
            lngPasteRow = wsSrc.Range("A:C").Find("*", SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
            lngPasteRow = IIf(lngPasteRow = 0, 2, lngPasteRow + 1)
        End If
    On Error GoTo 0
    For lngRow = lngRowFrom To lngRowTo
        For Each varPlayerStat In Split(wsSrc.Range("I" & lngRow), ",")
            wsSrc.Range("A" & lngPasteRow & ":B" & lngPasteRow).Value = wsSrc.Range("E" & lngRow & ":F" & lngRow).Value
            wsSrc.Range("C" & lngPasteRow).Value = varPlayerStat
            lngPasteRow = lngPasteRow + 1
        Next varPlayerStat
    Next lngRow

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

End Sub

Regards,

Robert

Upvote 0
Solution
Works like a charm (after I figured out how I was doing it wrong ). Cannot thank you enough for the help. This will save me so much time.

Upvote 0
Works like a charm (after I figured out how I was doing it wrong ). Cannot thank you enough for the help. This will save me so much time.

Thanks for letting us know and you're welcome (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back