Large Numbers

ehrimat

Hello Everyone,

I use a certain package tracking software that allows me to export the tracking information into CSV format. The software does not yield any other options, one button that says "CSV Export"

When I open the file in Excel, the numbers that are 15 digits are formatted with a scientific notation ex:4.34E+11
From reading some of the posts, I understand that Excel can only handle a certain amount of digits as number. Also, in order to view large number I have to format the cell into text.
After I open the CSV file and change the cell format into text, some of the digits remain abbreviated while some need to be double clicked in order for the entire number to show.
I tried to rename the file as .txt I also tried to import the file into Access but neither worked for me.

My question is; is there a way, method, code that can help me maintain the full number.

Thank you kindly,

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Try selecting all cells with scientific notation and change the format to "number" (eg: click the comma (,) icon in the upper area of your spreadsheet)

Upvote 0
Here is a USPS tracking # 9101150134811209669286 and the way it appears is 9.10115E+21

Kind Regards,

Upvote 0
Try selecting all cells with scientific notation and change the format to "number" (eg: click the comma (,) icon in the upper area of your spreadsheet)

Thank you for the reply,

If I did that and used the comma the result will be the following:

instead of

Thank you,

Upvote 0
Right click "Format Cells" and select "Number" and change decimals from 2 to 0 and uncheck the box next to "Use 1000 Separator(,)".

Unfortunately, anything beyond 15 positions is not coming thru as a number. The only way I know how to get a number to display more than 15 positions is to import it (or format it) as "Text.

Upvote 0
Here is a USPS tracking # 9101150134811209669286 and the way it appears is 9.10115E+21

In this case, you have to import it as text.

I tried to rename the file as .txt I also tried to import the file into Access but neither worked for me.

... but that's the way to do it. Rename the file as .txt and open it in excel. You are taken to the text import wizard. In the last panel, when you see the columns with a preview of the data, click on the header of the column with those numbers (the column is selected) and check the Text option button. This will import the numbers as text and you won't lose digits.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bsb1122

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back