VBA to Clean Up CSV with Large Blank Spaces and Extra Text Rows

mharper90

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
I have several CSV files that are exported from an air quality monitor. I am trying to extract only the useful values, which to me is any row with either column C, D, or E containing a non-zero number. All of the other rows can be deleted.

Additionally, there are new header rows inserted every 500 rows of data. All of the data rows have a sample number in column A, so that seems like the logical filter criteria for me; if A is a number, keep it, if not, delete the row.

My biggest obstacle right now is that every cell has a large space after the text or number, making the cell not cooperate with normal criteria and functions.

How do I remove all of these large blank spaces (almost like a tab)? And I'd appreciate any help with coming to the end product described (deleting all rows except those which contain a non-zero number in columns C, D, or E). Thanks!

Snapshot below, and a sample of one of my CSVs is at this link: NO - Sample File.csv

1699991663193.png

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Cannot open or view your file in Dropbox. Comes up empty. I have a Dropbox account and it still is not letting me see your file.

Upvote 0
I can download the file no problem, although it's 10.5MB

Upvote 0
Was able to finally open. Power Query solution below

Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Column3] <> null)),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Filtered Rows", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Promoted Headers", each ([#"Index DataLog - Reading"] <> "Index DataLog - Reading")),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Filtered Rows1",{{"NO Reading#(tab)", type number}, {"NO STEL Reading#(tab)", type number}, {"NO TWA Reading", type number}}),
    #"Filtered Rows2" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each [#"NO Reading#(tab)"] > 0)
in
    #"Filtered Rows2"

Link to file-->NO - Sample File (1).csv | Powered by Box

Upvote 0
Was able to finally open. Power Query solution below

Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Column3] <> null)),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Filtered Rows", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Promoted Headers", each ([#"Index DataLog - Reading"] <> "Index DataLog - Reading")),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Filtered Rows1",{{"NO Reading#(tab)", type number}, {"NO STEL Reading#(tab)", type number}, {"NO TWA Reading", type number}}),
    #"Filtered Rows2" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each [#"NO Reading#(tab)"] > 0)
in
    #"Filtered Rows2"

Link to file-->NO - Sample File (1).csv | Powered by Box

Thank you! I'll try this when I get into the office tomorrow and report back. I've never used Power Query, but just did a quick Google search about it. I'm excited to give it a shot and see if I can successfully add this to my project!

Upvote 0
Not 100% certain what you're looking for as a final product, but please try the following on a copy of your workbook. Just change the sheet name to suit.
VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub mharper90()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    Set ws = Worksheets("NO - Sample File")     '<-- *** Change the sheet name to suit ***
    Dim LRow As Long, LCol As Long, i As Long, r As Range
    LRow = ws.Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlByRows, xlPrevious).Row
    LCol = ws.Cells.Find("*", , xlFormulas, , xlByColumns, xlPrevious).Column + 1

Set r = ws.Range(ws.Cells(2, 3), ws.Cells(LRow, 5))
    With r
        .Value = Evaluate("Clean(" & .Address(, , , 1) & ")")
    End With

Dim a, b
    a = r
    ReDim b(1 To UBound(a, 1), 1 To 1)
    For i = 1 To UBound(a, 1)
        If Not IsNumeric(a(i, 1)) Or a(i, 1) + a(i, 2) + a(i, 3) = 0 Then b(i, 1) = 1
    Next i

ws.Cells(2, LCol).Resize(UBound(b, 1)).Value = b
    i = WorksheetFunction.Sum(ws.Columns(LCol))
    If i > 0 Then
        ws.Range(ws.Cells(2, 1), ws.Cells(LRow, LCol)).Sort Key1:=ws.Cells(2, LCol), _
        order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo
        ws.Cells(2, LCol).Resize(i).EntireRow.Delete
    End If

With ws
        .Range("A1").Resize(1, 5).Value = Array("Index DataLog - Reading", "Date/Time", "NO Reading", "NO STEL Reading", "NO TWA Reading")
        .Columns("A:E").AutoFit
    End With
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back