Last cell populated only

petiteshiraz

Board Regular
In columns B through M I have information that corresponds to data for each month. When January comes, I enter that month’s data, when February comes, I do the same.

In column N, I want to have only the info from the last cell that is filled in. In other words, if there is data in cells B4, C4, and D4, I want cell N4 to be populated with the data from cell D4.
How do I do this?

If you have mixed datatypes but want to retain the efficiency of the binary search route, you can hack it with an INDEX/LOOKUP/CHOOSE/MATCH combination:

=INDEX(A:A,LOOKUP(9.9E+307,CHOOSE({1,2,3},MATCH(9.9E+307,A:A),MATCH(REPT("z",255),A:A),MAX(MATCH(9.9E+307,A:A),MATCH(REPT("z",255),A:A)))))

I'm not sure this is of much practical use (not in this particularl scenario anyway) seeing as you probably only want to identify the last value the once, but anecdotally this was substantially faster than the LOOKUP(2,1/(A:A<>"")) formula when I applied it to shed-loads of cells in xl2007.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
If you have mixed datatypes but want to retain the efficiency of the binary search route, you can hack it with an INDEX/LOOKUP/CHOOSE/MATCH combination:

=INDEX(A:A,LOOKUP(9.9E+307,CHOOSE({1,2,3},MATCH(9.9E+307,A:A),MATCH(REPT("z",255),A:A),MAX(MATCH(9.9E+307,A:A),MATCH(REPT("z",255),A:A)))))

I'm not sure this is of much practical use (not in this particularl scenario anyway) seeing as you probably only want to identify the last value the once, but anecdotally this was substantially faster than the LOOKUP(2,1/(A:A<>"")) formula when I applied it to shed-loads of cells in xl2007.
Interesting... and unexpected (at least to me). Thanks for posting it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back