learning PowerQuery, PowerPivot and Power BI without M, DAX languages

lezawang

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi
I want to learn how to use powe query, BI, and Power Pivot without learning M and DAX languages. Is that possible or I have to learn these langauges. In another words, can I say by only learning these 3 (without learning the langueages) that I I know these 3 well?

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
First some clarification. Power BI and Power Pivot both use Power Query as the foundation for data transformations. Your Power Query skills will transfer between the two (you'll notice that the PQ interface looks the same between the two because it is the same).

Power Query is M. By pressing the buttons in the UI, you are creating M. While you definitely don't need to be able to write M from scratch, by using Power Query enough you should get enough familiarity with the basics to be able to slightly tweak things as you need. Also, if you want to create any kind of custom columns in Power Query, you should know the basics, including roughly which functions are available to use. The main thing is probably to understand the differences between the languages, and what they are used for.

It is possible to get by and build great dashboards without ever using DAX (that's how I started), but if you want to do anything more advanced as far as filtering or comparing values or more complex analysis, you'll want to use some of it eventually.
In another words, can I say by only learning these 3 (without learning the languages) that I I know these 3 well?
It really depends on whether or not you can answer the questions you want from your data, with only manipulating it in Power Query. If you can, then you're fine, but if not, you'll need to expand your skills further.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back