Linked Files - How to update both without Sharing Violation

johnny51981

I have 2 workbooks that I have linked together. One takes 2 massive csv files and makes them show ready for the second file.

I am currently working on cleaning these files up to make them quicker and cleaner, plus merging in some more from other files. However, when needing to make changes in the first file (in order of updating) that will be used in the second file, I can't save because having both open creates a sharing violation.

Is there a way to allow for both files to be open in a Writeable fashion and save work without causing a sharing violation, and without closing and reopening either file?

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
You can have 2 linked files open at the same time ... so please explain what you mean by "sharing violation"?

Upvote 0
I update File 1, while having File 2 open, try to save my changes...sharing violation message appears and save fails.

Upvote 0
I update File 1, while having File 2 open, try to save my changes...sharing violation message appears and save fails.
That has nothing to do with linking ... something else is going on. Show a screenshot of the message, if you think that will help.

Upvote 0
What also might help is for you to provide exact details of what precisely you are doing .... every action ... including information such as whether you are opening the workbooks in a desktop app, and whether both workbooks are open in the same instance of Excel (you should both workbooks named when you do ribbon/menu command View/Switch Window), what version of Excel you are using, and whether any other person or app has access to the workbooks whilst you are working in them.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back