Linking between spreadsheets

sblake

I am keeping track of employee training using different excel spreadsheets within my workbook, and I need some help!

I have a master worksheet with all employees names, alphabetized, as my farthest left column, so each employee has their own row. The rest of the columns are the different classes. when they take a class, they get a checkbox in the corresponding column for the class they have taken. Make sense?

Here is my issue. I also have spreadsheets for each individual class, where I keep track of registration and more detailed information like different tables for each date the class was offered, and who was registered for which date. That way I can see not only what class someone took (on the master spreadsheet), but I can go to the individual class tab, and see, oh they took it the third time we offered it in October.

So what is taking me A LOT of time, is checking boxes for completion on both the individual class tab, and the master list. I know how to link rows and columns between spreadsheets, but only if the values in each cell stay exactly the same. When the names are alphabetized on the master list, the linking would have to find the matching name (row) and link it to the right class(column).....so I would only have to do it on the individual tabs, and it would copy over to the master.

IS THIS POSSIBLE??

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back