linking to a table that name changes monthly

sav2day

Hi Everyone

I am new to writing code in Microsoft access. I have a table in a separate database that I need to link too. However, the table name changes monthly. Is there a way to link to the table?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Hi, and welcome to the Board!

Before trying to answer your question, a question of my own:

Why does the table name change monthly? That sounds like you have a designed issue with the other database -- do the tables have names like Jan07, Feb07, Mar07 ... ?

I'd suggest that you check out some links on database normalization if that is the case, because you will need to rethink the setup before going any further. Here's just one example ... http://www.phlonx.com/resources/nf3/

Denis

Upvote 0
Linking to a table that name changes monthly

Yes, the person that set up the original database has a table name for each month. I agree with you that this is not the correct way to set up a database. What the Director is currently doing, is capturing the data daily in an excel file with one worksheet for each month. He is then importing the monthly worksheet into a database (which he designed) with a table for each month. I need this data to create a billing and wanted to link to his database. He will not give me the excel file to import myself into one table. (Very protective and contolling of his data). Before I discuss with him (does not adapt well to changes) :cry: that we could do this much easier in with one table, and create a form for data entry. I wanted to know if linking could be done in code. (could be less heartburn then trying to get him to adapt to a change).

Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back