Linking two workbooks into 1 workbook

jamesdean1379

Board Regular
Hey guys.

I have two workbooks, one where new data (new_data.xlsx) is stored and one where old data (old_data.xlsx) is stored. I need these combined into a new workbook (data.xlsx).

Data will continue to be added into new_data and old_data so the data.xlsx needs to continuously pull from both and update itself and highlight any duplicates based on column D:D. No formatting changes will be needed as they are all the same layout, just need the two to combine into the data.xlsx

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Just an update. I was able to get the data from the two different workbooks on the data.xlsx file on two separate worksheets. Now i need to combine those into a new worksheet but all the ways i have found online want to add or average i just need them both to combine onto one sheet and highlight duplicates.

Upvote 0
Another update. I now have them on the same workbook and using below VLOOKUP and ISNA formula to see if cells match

Code:
=NOT(ISNA(VLOOKUP(D3,'OLD DATA'!$D:$D,1,FALSE)))

This is happening in column O. Now i need in column N for it if it matches to copy the cell in column N from "OLD DATA" to the "NEW DATA" work sheet.

Kind of like what it is doing in the VLOOKUP. If D:D in 'NEW DATA' matches D:D in 'OLD DATA' input cell in N:N in 'OLD DATA' into cell N:N in 'NEW DATA'

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I had more macro skills I would write something that would copy old data to a combined workbook and then new data beneath it, but I am not there yet. I can explain how to do it in access if you'd like using a union query. You could probably link the excel workbooks so you don't have to import. sorry I can't help in Excel.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back