Listing/grouping variables in pivot table field list

velinektori

I have data with 60+ variables and I would like to group the variables into different collapsible fields in pivot table similar to having different tables in the pivot field list instead of having all 60 variables in the same long list. A bit like creating sets, but allowing the set members to still be chosen individually.

I have tried splitting the variables into different pivot tables, but it's a tedious process to do manually and hard if not impossible to do automatically using power pivot. I have also tried to split them with perspectives, but that is a bit difficult to maintain, because the variables change over time and I would like to make it as easy to use as possible (the end user wouldn't have to touch anything but the charts or maybe some macro button). Is there a simpler way of doing this?

I'm happy with either powerpivot or normal pivot table based solution. Using VBA isn't a problem either.

Here is a link to picture that hopefully demonstrates what I am willing to achieve, grouping without splitting data into multiple tables http://tinypic.com/r/jrtq38/8[h=1][/h]

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Hi velinektori,

Rather than split into separate data tables, try the 3 quick steps below...

1. Create lookup tables for each attribute group (notable1, notable2, etc). (Lookup tables can be created very easily through the use of the "Remove Duplicates" button on the Data tab (copy columns dummy1, dummy2, and dummy3. paste to a blank sheet. click Remove Duplicates. Create a table and Link the table to the data model)

2. Create relationships from your main table to these lookup tables (the arrows should point to the lookup table in diagram view).

3. Hide the attributes (variables) in your main table from Client Tools (see Hiding Columns from Client Tools link below). The greyed out attributes below have been hidden from Client Tools.

Group_Attributesin_Field_List.png

You should end up with a FieldList similar to your snapshot and all metrics (aggregation columns that will go into the values section of your field list) will be in their own table.

Hiding Columns from Client Tools

Tip: You will likely need to concatenate your notable1 & notable2 attributes together in both your metric and your lookup tables in order get a distinct key to get the relationship to create.

Distinct_Key.png

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacob_mcbride

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back