Location management using excel and barcode scanning

tairan

Hello all, i work in a wholesaler and i am trying to find a solution in keeping track of where stock is by what location and a description of what is on each pallet and the quantity, my knowledge of excel is pretty basic but i was wondering if anyone would know if my proposal to use excel for this purpose would work, i have created a basic idea of what it would look like, Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

My idea is to scan the barcode of the item on the pallet (probably by using a bluetooth barcode scanner linked up to a tablet displaying the spreadsheet) into the 'scanned items' and then somehow to bring up the information from the (mini) database on the right to display the rest of the details of that scanned item, then the user would have to input the quantity and the best before date, is this possible to do? i know it will take a while to input all of the items we stock as there are over 25,000 but once it is set up in the 'database' i think it would be worth while as the person who is moving stock either putting it in a location or removing it could just scroll to the location on the spreadsheet, scan the item and it would input all of the data to that location, then if someone was looking for a specific product we could just check the spreadsheet to see where that item was, as at the moment we would physically walk the whole warehouse looking at all the pallets until we find the item. this also brings me to my next question, is it possible to search for words (in this case a product name) within a spreadsheet, e.g. looking at my mock up spreadsheet if i was looking for CL Flour, could i input that somewhere into the spreadsheet and it would automatically find that then tell me where the location is, as we have over 200 rack locations, thank you for reading and i look forward to any replies! Steve Cannell

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back