Locked-in vs. variable parts of a function

DesertShrimp

I have a file with multiple worksheets. The worksheets are labeled Jan, Feb, etc. Each worksheet has the exact same text with variable numbers (it is questions on a survey with the subsequent data). Following the worksheets (12 for 12 months) is an additional worksheet that acts as a data funnel to combine the data from all 12 previous worksheets into a single worksheet.

In the first 12 worksheets, I have a few survey question results that are listed horizontally (i.e. Satisfied, N/A, Unsatisfied) with their data listed below. In my data funnel worksheet, I need to list these answers vertically instead of horizontally.

What I want to do is create a formula that allows me to lock-in the row number while allowing the column letter be variable. This way when I type the formula in my 'data funnel' workbook, I will be able to click and drag that formula down the column and I will be receiving data from my other workbooks which are listed horizontally.

I can't seem to figure this one out. Thank you

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Welcome to the board...

Try this in the 'data funnel' sheet.

=INDEX('Other Sheet'!$1:$1,(ROWS(A$1:A1)-1)+1)

$1:$1 is the Row # to retrieve data from.
Don't change the (ROWS(A$1:A1)-1) part, it has nothing to do with your data.
The +1 represents the first column to retrieve data from.
So if you want to start in say Column C, you would change that to +3
C is the 3rd column..

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
That didn't work. I think I made a disaster trying to describe my issue. Let's do a very simple example of what I want.

If I were to create a blank sheet and then cell A1 I put a number and do the same in the next three cells in that row, so A1, B1, C1, D1. Then, somewhere else on the worksheet, I click in a cell and for the formual I put "=A1". Obviously that cell will now be equal to the value in cell A1. If I click on that cell and drag the formula over across the row, then I will get the same values I had in B1, C1, and D1 as well. Basic excel.

What I want to do:
Take the same values in A1, B1, C1, D1. Somewhere else on the worksheet enter a formula similar to "=A1" but this time I want to drag that formula down the column, but still retain the values from row 1.

Visually it would look like this:

A1 B1 C1 D1

to

A1

B1

C1

D1

What is the formula that allows me to do that? Right now if I click and drag it changes the row number instead of the column number. Is that possible?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back