Look for chars '*' or '#' in column range - excel vba

Nicha

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I need to build a procedure in vba that looks in a column range - (example $B$2:$B$8) - and check if any of those cells contain the chars '*' OR '#', in order to get the Row where the first match/partial match happens.
I've adapted a code presented on this site by Rick Rothstein, where the purpose was to check for the values {2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10}, using
Rich (BB code):
cells(Evaluate(Replace("MIN(IF( @={2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10},ROW(@)))", "@", Addr)), Found6.Column)

Q1_Table_2023-02-10.png

Suppose we have data in range [B2:B8] under the header "Total". I've adapted the Rick's Solution like this:
VBA Code:
Sub FindFirstOcurr_ValueIn_Rng()
'Find First Occurrence of Value in a Column

Dim LastRow As Long, Found6 As Range, FirstNumber As Range, Addr As String
  Dim DataRow As Integer

'Look for column "Total", where values 2 to 10 are to be found
  Set Found6 = cells.Find("Total", LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole, MatchCase:=False)

If Found6 Is Nothing Then GoTo Skiddle

LastRow = cells(Rows.Count, Found6.Column).End(xlUp).row
  Addr = cells(2, Found6.Column).Resize(LastRow - 1).Address

'Devolve a 1ª linha
  'Set FirstNumber = cells(Evaluate(Replace("MIN(IF( @={2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10},ROW(@)))", "@", Addr)), Found6.Column)

DataRow = Switch(IsNumeric(Evaluate("MATCH(""~*""," & Addr & ",0)")), Evaluate("MATCH(""~*""," & Addr & ",0)"), True, 9999)

Skiddle:
End Sub

The code below just works on the value in cell [B5]. In my case it's correct because is the first ocurrence. But, if the value on [B5] was '24*', that didn't work.
Can anyone help please?

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
How about
Excel Formula:
DataRow = Evaluate(Replace("min(if(isnumber(find({""*"",""#""},@)),row(@),9999))", "@", Addr))

Upvote 0
Hi & welcome to MrExcel.
How about
Excel Formula:
DataRow = Evaluate(Replace("min(if(isnumber(find({""*"",""#""},@)),row(@),9999))", "@", Addr))
Thank you Fluff. Coul you help me understand how it works, please? That is returning the number 4. Is this a relative position? Because, in that range the first ocurrence is a '#' on line 4, that corresponds at relative line 3 in the table.
Can you help please?

Upvote 0
That is returning the number 4. Is this a relative position?
No it's the number of the row the match is in, if you want a relative row to the range use
VBA Code:
DataRow = Evaluate(Replace("min(if(isnumber(find({""*"",""#""},@)),row(@)-min(row(@))+1,9999))", "@", Addr))

Upvote 0
Thank you Fluff. Coul you help me understand how it works, please? That is returning the number 4. Is this a relative position? Because, in that range the first ocurrence is a '#' on line 4, that corresponds at relative line 3 in the table.
Can you help please?
Brilliant!!. I've moved the range to [$B$12:$B$18], and got the value 14. That corresponds to the value '6#5' on that line. Many Thanks.
One last question; how can I alter your code to check if theres only numeric values in that range?
Thank's in advance.

Upvote 0
Do you mean if all cells in the range are numbers?

Upvote 0
Do you mean if all cells in the range are numbers?
No. I need to get the first ocurrence in range where the cell value is not numeric. It's practically the same result. Taking again the range [B2:B8], that shoul return the Row 4; caused by '6#5' that is not a numéric value.
Thank you again.

Upvote 0
Ok, how about
Excel Formula:
DataRow = Evaluate(Replace("min(if(istext(@),row(@)-min(row(@))+1,9999))", "@", Addr))

Upvote 0
Solution
If, as per your comments, the 1st text-value would equal the 1st occurence of one of these characters, then maybe try:

VBA Code:
Sub Test()

Dim DataRow As Long
Dim rng As Range

Set rng = Range("B2:B8").SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, xlTextValues) 'Long syntax for .SpecialCells(2, 2)
If Not rng Is Nothing Then
    DataRow = rng.Row - 1
End If

End Sub

Upvote 0
Many thank's Fluff. That is perfect solution.
The values in my column only can contain 3 numéric values. I'll try to find a way, using your code, to find first ocurrence of a value that doesn't contain 3 digits only - like '6204, 3#1, #, *, etc..'
Many thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back