Looking for a formula for change of dates driving raises

bh24524

Office Version
  1. 2021
  2. 2007
Hello, I have a spreadsheet I use to track Transportation employees who are due raises and additional PTO time. Among several columns, it lists their name, some other info not relevant to here, and their full-time date. The full-time date is normally what drives when Drivers earn additional time off as well as increases in pay. Some of the drivers due to lack of work, had to step down from full-time status to part-time status. When this happens, it can cause their full-time date to be pushed forward if they ever get full time again.

Example: Someone was hired as full-time on 9/11/16. By that date, they would get an increase in pay and time off on 9/11/17. However, that person did lose their full-time bid in 5/6/18 and had to go part-time for 98 days until they had gotten full-time again. So those days as part-time actually then pushed their full-time date to 12/18/16. This new full-time date however isn't in the same column of the sheet as everyone else who didn't lose their full-time bids. Their original full-time date is kept in that initial column for tracking when their very first full-time date was.

What I am wondering is if there is some kind of formula I can use that can encompass changes like that. In subsequent columns, that is where I have date formulas for raises and time accruals that are driven by that full-time date. The first column which is column O, a rate of pay column I just have as =E4 (E4 is where all the full-time dates are) Further along there are columns for accruing the time off, additional raises etc. The problem is though that the person whose situation I mentioned above, has his "New" full-time date listed in column M. The columns between E and M are other dates like when they lost the bid, how many days they were part-time, and when they got new full-time bids. For him, column M is what drives his information in column O and beyond, not column E like everyone else. So like I said, I am wondering if there is some kinda of formula I can use that if it sees a new full-time date somewhere other than column E, it will go by that date instead, but if not, it would go by column E. Rather than me having to manually go through each row of column O and say this one Equals E, this one equals M, so on and so forth. Any thoughts? Let me know if more info is needed.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
I assume you are going to track every time a person gets a new full-time date and record that along with their very first full-time date as well as any other new full-time dates. If so, how will this be managed? As I understand it you currently have full-time dates in that initial column (E) and in column M. What if a person has to step down to part-time status more than once? Seasonally? You could wind up with 50 columns of successively newer full-time dates for a person who works full-time most of the year and part-time at other points of the year.

I also assume that you are only increasing pay and time off if they successfully work for one year of uninterrupted full-time, rather than crediting periods of less than one year of full-time.
I think the easiest thing to do would be to create a column which looks at all these columns and tells you the person's most recent full-time date. You can use the most recent full-time date to drive your other formulas. Maybe Column E could be the most recent full-time date, column M would be their very first full-time date, and columns N through AZ would be used to record any newer full-time dates for a person.

In the most recent full-time date column, just use =MAX(M1:AZ1) to return that person's most recent full-time date.

full-time date formula.PNG

Information on the MAX function: ExcelJet

Upvote 0
Thank you. I am just now getting to look at this as things have been swamped here. I think this should work. I might have to tweak it to only look at specific cells instead of a range now that I think of it, but I think the MAX formula will probably work the best for what I need.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amyap

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back