Looking to create conditional formatting using a reference column.

gsfortis

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
I have two large tables with nearly the exact information-- one is an [OriginalTable], and another is being edited [EditedTable]. It's some 5,000+ records a dozen+ columns. It's basically a list of locations (Name, Region, District, Street Address, etc...)

I want to create some conditional formatting to highlight when the values don't match. Normally I might do something along the lines of =[EditedTable]B2<>[OriginalTable]B2, but the edited table might be resorted, filtered.. and then that won't work.

Instead, I want to use a unique identifier in Column A of both tables as a reference.

So, using Column A, if a Name value is changed, or Region or District in [EditedTable]... how can I apply colored conditional formatting to I cross-reference against the [OriginalTable] and highlight a changed value?

Many thanks!

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Since you were not specific about where your data is located I am going to have to give you a generic answer. I will assume your data is on two different sheets called OriginalTable and EditedTable. I am going to further assume that these tables are in columns A:G.

You do not say which table you want to highlight, so I will assumed EditedTable.

Highlight columns B:G in EditedTable and use this CF rule "Use a formula..."
Excel Formula:
=B1<>VLOOKUP($A1,OriginalTable!$A:$G,COLUMN(B1),False)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back