Looking to split a large excel file by rows and keep the header

flyguy

Platform
  1. Windows
I am trying to split up an excel file that has multiple lines, I want to break this into groups of 500 lines and retain the original header info for each file. This file will always have the same header just different amount of lines each time. Is this possible to do with a macro/vba. I have no real experience with macros for programming. It would be great if it could auto save as file1-file2 etc. file name does not matter. Just breaking apart manually is time consuming and looking to see if it can be automated.
The file starts as a .csv and needs to be converted to an .xls

Thank you for your assistance.

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Hello all - this code works like charm. But i do have following requirement and some challenges.

1) am planning to split thr files by 1 lakh records. I tried testing this formula for 7 lakh records and it's working like charm. But the issue is, its not working for a case when the rows are less than 1 lakh records. What happens is it splits the first file with available total records but then the file split still continues with header only. I am not sure where I went wrong. What i want is if the file records are less than 1 lakh, then the file split should be just one file.
2) I would want a button and provide user to select the file to split. Once the user selects the file, then the splitting of files by 1 lakh records happens

Can some please help..

I tried many places but not able to reach anywhere...

Please help
try replacing the range assignment near the top with
VBA Code:
With ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet
    Set ACS = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(.Rows.Count, .UsedRange.Columns.Count).End(xlUp))
End With

Upvote 0
Use FileFormat:= Thisworkbook.fileformat
You will also have to change the ".xls" in
VBA Code:
ACS.Parent.Parent.Path & Application.PathSeparator & "file-" & Z & ".xls"
so that it matches the output format.

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for this code, Is it possible to edit the code so it saves in xlxs format and also keep the sheet names the same as the original, At the moment it names them sheet 1.

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for this code, Is it possible to edit the code so it saves in xlxs format and also keep the sheet names the same as the original, At the moment it names them sheet 1.
VBA Code:
Sub flyguy()
Dim Source_RNG As Range, Z As Long, New_WB As Workbook, _
Total_Columns As Long, Start_Row As Long, Stop_Row As Long, Copied_Range As Range
Dim Headers() As Variant,file_type_str as string,file_format_number as long,source_sheet_name as string,rows_per_file as long

With ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet
    source_sheet_name=.name
    Set Source_RNG = .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(.Rows.Count, .UsedRange.Columns.Count).End(xlUp))
End With

file_type_str=".xlsx"
file_format_number=xlOpenXMLStrictWorkbook
rows_per_file=500

With Source_RNG
    Headers = .Rows(1).Value
    Total_Columns = .Columns.Count
End With

Start_Row = 2

Do While Stop_Row <= Source_RNG.Rows.Count

Z = Z + 1

If Z > 1 Then Start_Row = Stop_Row + 1

Stop_Row = Start_Row + (rows_per_file-1)

With Source_RNG.Rows
        If Stop_Row > .Count Then Stop_Row = .Count
    End With

With Source_RNG
        Set Copied_Range = .Range(.Cells(Start_Row, 1), .Cells(Stop_Row, Total_Columns))
    End With

Set New_WB = Workbooks.Add

With New_WB

With .Worksheets(1)
            .Cells(1, 1).Resize(1, Total_Columns) = Headers
            .Cells(2, 1).Resize(Copied_Range.Rows.Count, Total_Columns) = Copied_Range.Value
            .name= source_sheet_name
        End With

.SaveAs Source_RNG.Parent.Parent.Path & Application.PathSeparator & "file-" & Z & file_type_str, FileFormat:=file_format_number
       .Close

End With

If Stop_Row = Source_RNG.Rows.Count Then Exit Do

Loop
End Sub

Upvote 0
I just realized that you are on MAC. Try looking at post #19

Upvote 0
Hello. This code has worked great for my 500K line worksheet. One question: My original file has a hyperlink in it. When the file splits and saves, the hyperlink no longer works. How do I fix this exactly?

Upvote 0
Hello. This code has worked great for my 500K line worksheet. One question: My original file has a hyperlink in it. When the file splits and saves, the hyperlink no longer works. How do I fix this exactly?

Try changing
VBA Code:
.Cells(2, 1).Resize(Copied_Range.Rows.Count, Total_Columns) = Copied_Range.Value
to
VBA Code:
Copied_Range.copy
.Cells(2, 1).Resize(Copied_Range.Rows.Count, Total_Columns).PasteSpecial xlPasteAll

Then add Application.CutCopyMode = False before the end sub at the end

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacob_mcbride

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back