LOOKUP and IFERROR Question

JudithP

Hi Excel Community,
My function is set to not count any "N/As" but it's not working. N/As are being counted as 3. The likert scale of 3 should only be returned when "influential" is stated in the column.

Here is the function I typed in:

=IFERROR(LOOKUP(AQ8,{"Definitive","Influential","Not Influential","Somewhat Influential"},{4,3,1,2}),"")

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Re: HELP! LOOKUP and IFERROR Question

Hi Excel Community,
My function is set to not count any "N/As" but it's not working. N/As are being counted as 3. The likert scale of 3 should only be returned when "influential" is stated in the column.

Here is the function I typed in:

=IFERROR(LOOKUP(AQ8,{"Definitive","Influential","Not Influential","Somewhat Influential"},{4,3,1,2}),"")

If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

LOOKUP should be invoked here if the first array is in ascending order. Try this instead:

=IFERROR(INDEX({4,3,1,2},MATCH(AQ8,{"Definitive","Influential","Not Influential","Somewhat Influential"},0)),"")

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.

LOOKUP should be invoked here if the first array is in ascending order. Try this instead:

=IFERROR(INDEX({4,3,1,2},MATCH(AQ8,{"Definitive","Influential","Not Influential","Somewhat Influential"},0)),"")

Hi Aladin,
It works!! Thank you. Glad to be part of this online forum. I'm new to excel so its a working progress.
Will you be able to walk me through your logic? This will help me learn and understand the concepts better.

Upvote 0

Hi Aladin,
It works!! Thank you. Glad to be part of this online forum. I'm new to excel so its a working progress.
Will you be able to walk me through your logic? This will help me learn and understand the concepts better.

Index / Match works like a Lookup function except that the lookup range doesn't have to be sorted.

The MATCH(AQ8,{"Definitive","Influential","Not Influential","Somewhat Influential"},0) is looking up the value of AQ8 within the set values of {"Definitive","Influential","Not Influential","Somewhat Influential"}, and returning the position number if it finds a match. The 0 at the end tells it to find an Exact Match.
ie: Influential would return the number 2 as it is the second value in the list.

INDEX({4,3,1,2} ... ) then takes the 2 returned by Match, and returns the 2nd value in the set {4,3,1,2}.

ie: INDEX({4,3,1,2},2) would return 3.

All wrapped up in a nice IFERROR() to provide a blank if a match is not found.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hi Aladin,

You are welcome.

1. MATCH of the MATCH bit compares AQ8 with values in the list {"Definitive","Influential","Not Influential","Somewhat Influential"}. The comparison is exact, indicated by the 0 argument. If AQ8 = Influential, MATCH finds it in this list where it's 2nd item. This 2 is then fed to the surrounding INDEX.

2. INDEX looks for the 2nd item because it's fed with 2 by MATCH in its own list, i.e. {4,3,1,2}. Since the 2nd item is 3, it returns 3 as result.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveLlew

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back