Lookup Email Addresses Across 4 columns

Tashat

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All

Hoping someone can help me. I have two sheets, one with legacy contact email addresses and a new sheet where I want to enter new email addresses for contacts. On each sheet there is the option to add two emails, if a person has more than one email address. On sheet 2 where I will enter new contacts, I want a check column (f:f) to alert the user if the email address(es) entered on sheet 2 already appear on the legacy contacts on sheet 1. I therefore have 4 columns across two sheets to compare. So if the email address appears in either of the two columns in any order then it will return "YES" as per my example below. Can someone help me with a formula to perform this action? I'm assuming this would be some mixture of INDEX, MATCH, VLOOKUP? Thank you in advance.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Hi All

Hoping someone can help me. I have two sheets, one with legacy contact email addresses and a new sheet where I want to enter new email addresses for contacts. On each sheet there is the option to add two emails, if a person has more than one email address. On sheet 2 where I will enter new contacts, I want a check column (f:f) to alert the user if the email address(es) entered on sheet 2 already appear on the legacy contacts on sheet 1. I therefore have 4 columns across two sheets to compare. So if the email address appears in either of the two columns in any order then it will return "YES" as per my example below. Can someone help me with a formula to perform this action? I'm assuming this would be some mixture of INDEX, MATCH, VLOOKUP? Thank you in advance.

Try this:
*Sheet 2 Cell F3:
=IF(COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A:$B,Sheet2!D3),"Yes","No") ----Check if Email 1 is in sheet 1
*Sheet 2 Cell G3:
=IF(COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A:$B,Sheet2!E3),"Yes","No") ----Check if Email 2 is in sheet 1
*Sheet 2 Cell H3:
=IF(OR(F3="Yes",G3="Yes"),"Yes","No") ----------------Check if either email 1 or email 2 was in sheet 1

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 9.17.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 9.17.46 PM.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Solution
Try this:
*Sheet 2 Cell F3:
=IF(COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A:$B,Sheet2!D3),"Yes","No") ----Check if Email 1 is in sheet 1
*Sheet 2 Cell G3:
=IF(COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A:$B,Sheet2!E3),"Yes","No") ----Check if Email 2 is in sheet 1
*Sheet 2 Cell H3:
=IF(OR(F3="Yes",G3="Yes"),"Yes","No") ----------------Check if either email 1 or email 2 was in sheet 1
Hi BigBeachBananas - thank you so much. That's perfect! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HypnoFant

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back