Lookup Last name column, return Last and First Name

jmh2008

My spreadsheet has first and last name in two columns. I want to create a data validation the will look up both first and last name together, because there may be more than one John Smith, so just looking up Smith does not work.

If I create a separate sheet and do concatenation, and then update the list from the original sheet, I need to have the list update.

thanks for your help,
Juanita

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Sorry, I don't understand how this works.

I want to have a Validation cell that if you search Smith, you may see Smith John, Smith Joe, Smith Mary, and you can select Smith Mary. I don't know VBA, so that's no an option.

Upvote 0
This can be done with named ranges.
If you have last names in Sheet1!A1:A10 with the first names in column B.
And your entry cell is Sheet1!$D1 (as below)

Name: aRange RefersTo: =Sheet1!$A$1:$A$6 (can be dynamicly defined)
Name: bColumn RefersTo: =Sheet1!$B:$B (note is entire column)

the next name uses relative referencing and should be defined relative to Sheet1!E1
Name: other
RefersTo: =INDEX(Sheet2!1:1, 1, 1):INDEX(Sheet2!1:1, 1, COUNTIF(aRange,Sheet1!$D1))

In Sheet2! A1:Z1, put the array formula
=INDEX(bColumn, LARGE(TRANSPOSE((aRange=Sheet1!$D1)*ROW(aRange)), COLUMN(A:Z)), 1)
(entered with Ctrl-Shift-Enter (Cmd+Return for Mac))

Then Validation on Sheet1!E1 with a list source =other will give the list Francis, Betty, Adam.

<table border=1 cellspacing=0>
<tr align="center" bgcolor=#A0A0A0><td width=25> <td width=25><b>A</b><td width=25><b>B</b><td width=25><b>C</b><td width=25><b>D</b><td width=25><b>E</b></tr>
<tr><td align="center" bgcolor=#A0A0A0><b>1</b><td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF>Smith<td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF>Adam<td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF><td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF>Smith<td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF>Betty</tr>
<tr><td align="center" bgcolor=#A0A0A0><b>2</b><td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF>Smith<td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF>Betty<td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF><td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF><td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF></tr>
<tr><td align="center" bgcolor=#A0A0A0><b>3</b><td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF>Jones<td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF>Carl<td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF><td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF><td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF></tr>
<tr><td align="center" bgcolor=#A0A0A0><b>4</b><td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF>Jones<td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF>Dianna<td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF><td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF><td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF></tr>
<tr><td align="center" bgcolor=#A0A0A0><b>5</b><td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF>Williams<td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF>Edward<td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF><td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF><td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF></tr>
<tr><td align="center" bgcolor=#A0A0A0><b>6</b><td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF>Smith<td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF>Francis<td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF><td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF><td align="left" bgcolor=#FFFFFF></tr>
</table>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back