Lookup with a fill down based on another field - how the heck do I explain this :)

MattDanFrank2

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi there,

As always, thanks in advance for any help. Thank you. This one is bending my little brain.

I have two tables with serial numbers.

The first table has (let's call it the master table) has serial numbers and the related account numbers.

The second table (let's call is the slave table) has serial numbers and related account names (but no account numbers).

The objective is to lookup the account number from the first table and place it on the second table.

But, and here's the twist, the second table has many serial numbers that are not in the first table, but there will always be at least one that matches.

Take the first example. In table 2 there is serial number 1 related to Jim Ltd, which relates to account number 1001 in table 1. What I need the formula to do is populate any other instances of Jim Ltd with account number 1001.

In the second example, in table 2 there is serial number 6 related to Frank Corp, which relates to account number 1002 in table 1. What I need the formula to do is populate any other instances of Frank Corp with account number 1002.

I hope that make sense.

Matt

p.s. I have tried to install XL2BB but my work laptop won't let it work. :(

Attachments

• MR-EXCEL.PNG
    MR-EXCEL.PNG
    33.2 KB · Views: 12
Hi Fluff and shinigamilight, I am profoundly grateful to you both for providing solutions to my predicament. Both work! Now, my next job it to learn why they both work. :) Who knows, I might be able to help someone else with the same problem one day. Thank you again so much! Brilliant.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie14

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back