loop through all tabs, finding headers from a list and compile the information

nikk

HI,

I am stuck - I have been trying different things with this. I have a macro that compiles the monthly statements from a folder into one workbook. These statements have similar information but with different headers as they come from different sources (i.e. Purchase Order Number might be PO# or P.O. Num, etc.). I am going to create a list of possible examples for each header. I want to create a macro that goes through each tab finds the header from the list and pastes the information below the header in one tab:

1574367635564.png

1574367672386.png

The thing is that not all statements will have all the columns - only the invoice # would be there 100% of the time.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thank you

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
In the second image are the values in the first row the names for the headers in the consolidate sheet and the values in the rest of the rows the possible headers for that field in the other sheets?

For example, in the consolidated sheet you have a field/column named 'Invoices' and the possible names for that in the other sheets are 'Order No', 'Invoice No' and 'Reference'?

Upvote 0
I did not understand what you need.
You could describe step by step what you want to do.
Something like this:
Step 1. The macro should read column X of sheet Y.
Step 2. The macro should look for the data W on the "bla bla" sheet.
Step 3. Etc.

To explain better use real examples, you can paste here ranges of your sheets with data, check how to do it:
Upload an excel range:
XL2BB - Excel Range to BBCode

Upvote 0
I did not understand what you need.
You could describe step by step what you want to do.
Something like this:
Step 1. The macro should read column X of sheet Y.
Step 2. The macro should look for the data W on the "bla bla" sheet.
Step 3. Etc.

To explain better use real examples, you can paste here ranges of your sheets with data, check how to do it:
Upload an excel range:
XL2BB - Excel Range to BBCode
[/QUOTE

Yes, may be I am over my head with this one. I somewhat know to do each part separately but piecing them together is mission impossible.
I have a macro that takes all the statements for the month and puts them in a file. I want to extend it:

1. To create arrays from the "Headers" tab from each column - these lists will increase as I add new names;
2. Go to each tab (statement) check the headings (which are not necessarily the first row - let's say within the first 10 rows) and check from the lists in "Headers" if the heading exist copy the information below it - there might be empty cells.
3. Paste the information in the Consolidated tab under the correct header (these are not going to change) which is as Noriw pointed out the first row in the Headers tab. Only the Invoice # column will exist in 100% of the time (which again might have a couple of cells with empty values for some statements) in the statements tabs so xldown will not work for the rest of the columns.
4. It would be nice if column A on the Consolidated statement contains the name of the tab where the information is coming from.

Headers tab:
1574429986975.png

Consolidated Tab:
1574430013548.png

Sample of statements:
1574430161007.png

Upvote 0
Hi @nikk, By the way, welcome to the forum!

None of the headings on the "statement" sheet match the texts on the "Headers" sheet.
We could keep guessing, but it would be easier to understand what you require if the examples are somehow "real", it would also be convenient for us to fill out the "Consolidated" sheet with the expected result.

I help you a little with the examples and you help me if they are not correct.
Note: The sequence of headings in row 1 of the "Headers" sheet must be the same as the "Consolidate" sheet. Look at the examples:

Book1
ABC
1Po #Invoice #Invoice Date
2Order NoRefDoc Amount
3Invoice NoDocument numberInvoice Amount
4ReferenceAssignment
5Ref.key 1
6P.O. No.
7Purchase Order
Headers

Book1
ABCDEFGHI
4customer jobtransaction typedateDocument numberP.O. No.Due DateageOpen balance
6invoice08/07/2019inv330024280-0122/08/20193918000
7invoice08/07/2019inv330034276-0122/08/2019391071
Statement 9-30

Book1
ABCDEFGH
1Order Nocustomer jobAssignmenttransaction typedateDue DateageOpen balance
34280-01binv33002-10invoice08/07/201922/08/20193918000
44276-01binv33003-10invoice08/07/201922/08/2019391071
10.1 Statement

RESULT

Book1
ABCD
1StatementPo #Invoice #Invoice Date
2Statement 9-304280-01inv33002
3Statement 9-304276-01inv33003
410.1 Statement4280-01binv33002-10
510.1 Statement4276-01binv33003-10
Consolidate

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Test with the following code:

VBA Code:
Sub finding_headers()
  Dim sh1 As Worksheet, sh2 As Worksheet, sh As Worksheet
  Dim i As Long, j As Long, k As Long, lr As Long, lr2 As Long, r As Long, n As Long
  Dim dic As Object, f As Range, ky As Variant, una As Boolean

Set sh1 = Sheets("Headers")
  Set sh2 = Sheets("Consolidate")
  Set dic = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")

For Each sh In Sheets
    Select Case sh.Name
        'Write here the sheets that should not be consolidated
      Case sh1.Name, sh2.Name, "Working", "Report", "Etc"

Case Else

For j = 1 To sh1.Cells(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column
          dic(j + 1) = Empty
          For i = 2 To sh1.Cells(Rows.Count, j).End(xlUp).Row
            Set f = sh.Range("A1", sh.Cells(10, Columns.Count)).Find(sh1.Cells(i, j), , xlValues, xlWhole)
            If Not f Is Nothing Then
              dic(j + 1) = f.Column
              r = f.Row
              Exit For
            End If
          Next
        Next

lr2 = sh2.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row + 1
        lr = sh.UsedRange.Rows(sh.UsedRange.Rows.Count).Row + 1
        una = False
        For Each ky In dic.keys
          If una = False Then
            n = sh.Range(sh.Cells(r + 1, dic(ky)), sh.Cells(lr, dic(ky))).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).Rows.Count
            una = True
            sh2.Range("A" & lr2).Resize(n, 1).Value = sh.Name
          End If
          If dic(ky) <> Empty Then
            sh.Range(sh.Cells(r + 1, dic(ky)), sh.Cells(lr, dic(ky))).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants).Copy sh2.Cells(lr2, ky)
          End If
        Next
    End Select
  Next
  MsgBox "End "
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hi Dante Amor,

It worked to somewhere and then it stopped and gave me the error below on the line below it:

1574448104472.png

It stopped on the Invoice amount on one of the statements:
1574448608988.png

I completed the Headers tab with all the headers from the current statements - the first row is the first row in the consolidated statement in the same order:

1574448800283.png

I circled the header where the macro stopped. I also circled the column that is in 100% of the statements. The first statement that was copied over to the Consolidated tab was cut off on the first cell the PO# (column A on the Headers tab above) was missing.

Upvote 0
Apparently the mistake is because you have merged cells on one sheet and try to paste on another sheet without merged cells.
merged cells is a problem, if possible you should remove the merged cells.

In the "Headers" sheet, you don't need to repeat the headings, you can put unique ones.

Try again and tell me. If you have any other errors, I think it will be necessary to review your data.

You could upload a copy of your file to a free site such www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. If the workbook contains confidential information, you could replace it with generic data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teemeren

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back