Macro for retaining one row of data per person

Gollum9

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I have a large data set of training information, where there are individual rows per completion. The issue I have is that there can be multiple rows per person as they may have attempted the training before.

What I'm after if possible is some code that will only retain one row of information per person, based on the following rules. The data is in the format of Unique Person ID in column W, the date in column B, and the training status in column T (either passed or failed).

1) Retain only the most recent row for the person that has 'training status' = passed
2) If the person does not have a row with 'training status' = passed, delete all rows other than the most recent row with 'training status' = failed

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

OK, there is one other thing I did not count on, that I think we need some clarification on.
You sometimes have multiple records with the same Date, Status, and Unique Emo ID (like Record IDs 73 and 74 in your example).
In that case, how do we know which record to keep?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
OK, there is one other thing I did not count on, that I think we need some clarification on.
You sometimes have multiple records with the same Date, Status, and Unique Emo ID (like Record IDs 73 and 74 in your example).
In that case, how do we know which record to keep?
Apologies. I should have made that clear. In that instance, the row closest to the top of the list is the one to keep, thanks.

Upvote 0
OK, I created VBA code that makes use of column X, putting in a temporary formula which calculates which records to keep, filters them, deleted the unneeded ones, and them removes the filter and gets rid of the temporary column formulas.

Here is the code:
VBA Code:
Sub MyDeleteRecords()

Dim lr As Long
    Dim lRows As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

'   Find last row in column A with data
    lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

'   Add temporary header to column X
    Range("X3") = "Temp"

'   Populate column X with temporary formula to identify which records to keep
    Range("X4:X" & lr).FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(COUNTIFS(C[-1],RC[-1],C[-4],""passed"")>0,IF(AND(MAXIFS(C[-22],C[-1],RC[-1],C[-4],""passed"")=RC[-22],RC[-4]=""passed"",COUNTIFS(R4C[-22]:RC[-22],RC[-22],R4C[-4]:RC[-4],RC[-4],R4C[-1]:RC[-1],RC[-1])=1),""keep"",""""),IF(AND(MAXIFS(C[-22],C[-1],RC[-1],C[-4],""failed"")=RC[-22],COUNTIFS(R4C[-22]:RC[-22],RC[-22],R4C[-4]:RC[-4],RC[-4],R4C[-1]:RC[-1],RC[-1])=1),""keep"",""""))"

'   Filter column X to hide records to delete
    Range("A3:X" & lr).AutoFilter Field:=24, Criteria1:="<>"

'   Delete unhidden rows
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual

For lRows = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count To 4 Step -1
        If Cells(lRows, 1).EntireRow.Hidden = True Then Cells(lRows, 1).EntireRow.Delete
    Next lRows

Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True

'   Turn filter off
    Range("A3:X" & lr).AutoFilter

'   Delete temp column
    Range("X3:X" & lr).ClearContents

End Sub
Note: In order for this code to work, the dates in column B need to be REAL dates, and not text entries.
They can be formatted in any date format you want, but they need to be valid date entries.
If they are not, we can add lines to the VBA code to convert them to valid dates.

Upvote 1
OK, I created VBA code that makes use of column X, putting in a temporary formula which calculates which records to keep, filters them, deleted the unneeded ones, and them removes the filter and gets rid of the temporary column formulas.

Here is the code:
VBA Code:
Sub MyDeleteRecords()

Dim lr As Long
    Dim lRows As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

'   Find last row in column A with data
    lr = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

'   Add temporary header to column X
    Range("X3") = "Temp"

'   Populate column X with temporary formula to identify which records to keep
    Range("X4:X" & lr).FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(COUNTIFS(C[-1],RC[-1],C[-4],""passed"")>0,IF(AND(MAXIFS(C[-22],C[-1],RC[-1],C[-4],""passed"")=RC[-22],RC[-4]=""passed"",COUNTIFS(R4C[-22]:RC[-22],RC[-22],R4C[-4]:RC[-4],RC[-4],R4C[-1]:RC[-1],RC[-1])=1),""keep"",""""),IF(AND(MAXIFS(C[-22],C[-1],RC[-1],C[-4],""failed"")=RC[-22],COUNTIFS(R4C[-22]:RC[-22],RC[-22],R4C[-4]:RC[-4],RC[-4],R4C[-1]:RC[-1],RC[-1])=1),""keep"",""""))"

'   Filter column X to hide records to delete
    Range("A3:X" & lr).AutoFilter Field:=24, Criteria1:="<>"

'   Delete unhidden rows
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual

For lRows = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count To 4 Step -1
        If Cells(lRows, 1).EntireRow.Hidden = True Then Cells(lRows, 1).EntireRow.Delete
    Next lRows

Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
    Application.ScreenUpdating = True

'   Turn filter off
    Range("A3:X" & lr).AutoFilter

'   Delete temp column
    Range("X3:X" & lr).ClearContents

End Sub
Note: In order for this code to work, the dates in column B need to be REAL dates, and not text entries.
They can be formatted in any date format you want, but they need to be valid date entries.
If they are not, we can add lines to the VBA code to convert them to valid dates.
Oh wow, thanks. That’s a completely different route to how I was going but it looks great. I will do some testing over the weekend but sure it will be fine.

Thanks so much for your time on this

Upvote 0
You are welcome.

If you want a manual route that does not use VBA, you can do the following.
Let's that your data is in a sheet named "Data" and is in the range A4:W100.

1. Place the following formula in cell X4 and copy down to line X100
Excel Formula:
=IF(COUNTIFS(W:W,W4,T:T,"passed")>0,IF(AND(MAXIFS(B:B,W:W,W4,T:T,"passed")=B4,T4="passed",COUNTIFS(B$4:B4,B4,T$4:T4,T4,W$4:W4,W4)=1),"keep",""),IF(AND(MAXIFS(B:B,W:W,W4,T:T,"failed")=B4,COUNTIFS(B$4:B4,B4,T$4:T4,T4,W$4:W4,W4)=1),"keep",""))
2. Insert a new sheet, and enter this formula in it:
Excel Formula:
=FILTER(Data!A4:W100,Data!X4:X100="keep")

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back