Mail Merge Issues with Office XP

fish23407

I am working on a mail merge using an excel table and word (both XP) and have encountered a problem that I hope is easy to solve.
The converter between excel and word does an interesting thing to zip codes, if the zip code starts with zero or is a zip + four it comes up in word as "0". The microsoft knowledge base says it knows this to be a problem and the workaround is to put ' before the zip so that the converter treats this column as text. Here's the question, is there a formula that would add ' to the beginning of all the zip codes?

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
If you are not using DDE as your connection to the Excel file (which is NOT the default), then change it.

Open main doc, then Mail merge toolbar. Hit Open data source button, choose new source. YOu should be given options to connect. Click on the second tab and add excel.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply - I tried your suggestion and when I got to the point where it asked for me to select the database and table, I couldn't read the file path in the selection box and the next button is greyed out. If I uncheck specific table then when I finish no data is found. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back