Make cell text, number, date or time only but based on another cells value so can copy and paste text without using Paste special>text

BlackWingedKite

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I am creating a command only (no macros) spreadsheet for some older non-IT people. They need to copy and paste some values/text/dates/times from cells (that are calculated using formulae that take values from other cells in the spreadsheet) into a separate spreadsheet. However I want to make it as simple as possible as they really do struggle. Currently if you copy and paste the cells the formulas go to the new spreadsheet and the values change or disappear. Petty thing, but can I have cells which if the values are copy and pasted into another separate spreadsheet it keeps the original values without having to paste special>text etc (it would just copy the given values with copy, paste and not change them). My thinking is I want to copy the values of the cells into a new cell that turns the cell into text only, but will still update the values if the parameters in the spreadsheet change. Is this possible or am I being difficult?! I would like to not use macros.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Hi BlackWungedKite

Why "no macros" :unsure:
The VBA is precisely there to help people who know nothing about computers.
They just have to click on a button (for example) and the work is done by itself then... miracle 😁

I honestly don't think you're going the right way.

Upvote 0
I honestly don't think you're going the right way.
Perhaps you are right but ..
Why "no macros" :unsure:
The VBA is precisely there to help people who know nothing about computers.
They just have to click on a button (for example) and the work is done by itself then... miracle 😁
.. have you considered that the users may not have macros enabled or that they may be using Excel Online where macros are not available?

Upvote 0
Would it be possible to show your users how to Paste Link? This option seems to do what you want. There is an option to change the default CTR+V behavior via VBA but as @Peter_SSs mentioned, if you can't use VBA for whatever reason then you would have to continue to manually choose Paste Link.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. This is for work, I work in a prison and am unsure if I can use macros there. I'm not that good with macros anyway.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back