Pasting data - automatically does a text-to-columns. WHY?

zookeepertx

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all
I have a really annoying problem! Suddenly, when I paste something to a spreadsheet, it just automatically does a text-to-columns and spreads the data out across cells, separated at each space in the original data.
I had originally pasted some code into a spreadsheet so I could study it and figure out why it does what it does. I made a small change to one of the notes in the actual coding but when I try to paste that line into the corresponding cell in the spreadsheet so it matches the code, the whole line spreads out across a bunch of cells.
I've tried making a new sheet in the workbook and pasting it there but the same thing happens. I tried putting a new sheet in another workbook and putting it there: no good. I opened a brand new, blank workbook and put it there: no good. I even tried selecting and copying the entire macro's code and pasted but it still does it wrong!
Granted, one of the first things the macro itself does is a text-to-columns on the original data, so I GUESS it could be related, but I don't see how, when I just started out only copying the line showing the note in the module.
Very frustrating! I mean, this is how I got the code into a spreadsheet in the first place: "Select all" in the module, copy, paste in a blank worksheet.
Anybody got any idea what the heck is going on here?

Thanks
Jenny

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Yes, Excel remembers the Text-to-Columns from earlier during that Excel session and tries to apply it automatically (another case of Microsoft trying to be "too helpful" for its own good!).
Note that it is only during that particular Excel session and will not carry over to your next one.
See here for how to reset that: Stop automatic text-to-columns formatting

Upvote 0
Solution
Ahhh, okay. Good to know. So basically, if I'd closed Excel and reopened it, things would have been fine. Well, it's not the first time and won't be the last that Microsoft makes a mess of things! :rolleyes:
Thanks for the info and the link!

Upvote 0
Ahhh, okay. Good to know. So basically, if I'd closed Excel and reopened it, things would have been fine. Well, it's not the first time and won't be the last that Microsoft makes a mess of things! :rolleyes:
Thanks for the info and the link!
You are welcome.
Yes, sometimes I think Microsoft try TOO hard to be helpful, and think/guess what you want! That is my biggest complaint with Microsoft Word, especially when it comes to indenting and outlining. I wish it would just do what I tell it, and not try to "guess" as to what I want!

Upvote 0
Oh, yeah! Word has totally lost its mind! I won't even START trying to describe the trials of trying to make a consistent bullet list or an outline! Especially if you want to use that same formatting again later! o_O

Upvote 0
Oh, yeah! Word has totally lost its mind! I won't even START trying to describe the trials of trying to make a consistent bullet list or an outline! Especially if you want to use that same formatting again later! o_O
YES! I feel your pain!

Upvote 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back