Making calculations based on non null cells to constant cell?

JV63

Hi. I have a file with a price in column Z for example and I need to compare that price to the nearest cell that has a price populated. So in other words if Cell Y has a price I want to compare Z to Y. If there is no price in Y but X has a price I need to compare Z to X and so on working backwards. There will always be a price in column Z but a price can show up anywhere in A through Y and I want to take the closest cell to Z that has a price to do my calculation. So working backwards.

I was thinking some kind of IF statement, but don't know how to write the formula as I have a lot of cells to look through.

In addition, is there a way to highlight the last cell that has a price, other than Z since that is my constant. I want to be able to show the user that last time there was a price for a certain product was in so and so month. Or highlight that cell in a color?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
This regular formula subtracts the last value in A9:Y9 from Z9
Code:
AA9: =Z9-LOOKUP(10^10,$A9:$Y9)

Is that something you can work with?

Upvote 0
Thank you Ron. That was most helpful.

Is there a formula to flag or indicate when the prices have not changed? So for instance if A through Y are all the same price, flag it as a match or "same" or something like that?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
One other thing, with your formula: AA9: =Z9-LOOKUP(10^10,$A9:$Y9), is there also a way to display the column heading instead of the value that's in that cell. I need both ways actually.

Thanks

Upvote 0
I got the heading thing to work by using nested IF so I'm ok with that unless there's a more efficient way of doing it?

Just need a formula then to flag when prices are all the same across the row.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Code:
AA9: =LOOKUP(10^10,$A9:$Y9,$A1:$Y1)
Does that help?

Awesome. Just had to use an extra $ with the A1:Y1 (AA9: =LOOKUP(10^10,$A9:$Y9,$A$1:$Y$1), otherwise if gave the actual values (prices).

This is great. If you can help me with the last piece, indicating when the prices are the same across the board for each row, that would be great.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickWBA

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back