Managing the editing of Conditional Formatting

Roncondor

Board Regular
I have a lot of different sections that need to be conditionally formatted

for instance I have a lot of different rows that need to be formatted depending on what is in row 2

However, when you go to edit in the box it looks like this
=$E$135:$N$135,$E$143:$N$143,$E$77:$N$77,$E$137:$J$137,$E$148:$N$149,$E$125:$N$127,$E$131:$N$131, ....

When I have so many of them, you can not even see them in the edit box

is there an easier way?

Thanks RK

Last edited:

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Not that I can think of.
If there was some sort of "pattern" as to which cells it should apply to (i.e. every 4th row, etc), we might be able to build it right into the Conditional Formatting formula.

For example, let's say that you wanted to apply some conditional format to cells A1, A5, A9, A13, A17, and A21(every fourth cell in column A), instead of selecting each range individual, you select A1:A21 and write the Conditional Formatting formula in this format:
=AND(MOD(ROW(),4)=1,original condition)

Upvote 0
Not that I can think of.
If there was some sort of "pattern" as to which cells it should apply to (i.e. every 4th row, etc), we might be able to build it right into the Conditional Formatting formula.

For example, let's say that you wanted to apply some conditional format to cells A1, A5, A9, A13, A17, and A21(every fourth cell in column A), instead of selecting each range individual, you select A1:A21 and write the Conditional Formatting formula in this format:
=AND(MOD(ROW(),4)=1,original condition)

Thanks - there is no pattern. You would think Microsoft would create a way to do this [On the other hand, I would not think so!]

Upvote 0
You would think Microsoft would create a way to do this [On the other hand, I would not think so!]
Your situation isn't really typical of how one would expect Conditional Formatting to be applied.
More often than not, each CF rule it is being applied to a single range, and not a whole bunch of small random ranges.

Upvote 0
suggest you set up a worksheet that has data defining which ranges have what conditional formatting
and then VBA to loop through & apply it (probably after deleting all conditional formatting first)
maybe also if there is a large amount of conditional formatting, delete it when not needed & apply on a need-to-see basis

FWIW, conditional formatting was easier to control in Excel 2003 and complexity has been added in newer versions. the way it was done has made managing it more difficult

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ronaldj

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back