Mass Data Transfer from Old workbook into New Workbook

Lynn0713

Hello,

I have absolutely no training in VBA and have been able to piece together responses from this board previously to achieve my desired result. However, I've run into an issue that is beyond my piecemeal process.

My current workbook has a master data sheet that is a register of the main information from each sheet within the workbook. This workbook did not include all of the required information so I designed a new workbook to include all of the information. I need to copy the data from the old workbook into the new workbook for specific cells in each sheet.

Old Workbook - Contains 277 Sheets for each incident being tracked. Each sheet is named for a person. The "Registry" sheet contains 1 row for each sheet within the workbook.

New Workbook- Contains the 277 sheets for each incident with the same name for each sheet as the old workbook.

I want to transfer the existing data from specific cells in each sheet in the old workbook to the appropriate cell / sheet in the new workbook.

For example:
Old workbook - Sheet name "Lynn" Copy the data from I3 to cell E3 in the new workbook

I'd like it to loop through each sheet, if possible, so I can do this one time and be done with it.

Once the VBA is set up I can finish the code for selecting cells from the old and matching it up with the appropriate cell in the new workbook, I just have no idea how to even start this.

Workbook names:
Old Workbook = Group Accident & Incident Registry
New Workbook = Registry

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Make a copy of both workbooks before running. You will need to change the "Old Workbook" and "New Workbook" names to your actual file names:

Code:
Sub test()
  Dim wb1 As String, wb2 As String
  Dim i As Long, j As Long

wb1 = Workbooks("Old Workbook").Name
  wb2 = Workbooks("New Workbook").Name

For i = 1 To Workbooks(wb2).Sheets.Count        'loop through old workbook sheets
    For j = 1 To Workbooks(wb1).Sheets.Count      'search in new workbook for wb2 sheet name
      If Workbooks(wb2).Sheets(i).Name = Workbooks(wb1).Sheets(j).Name Then
        Workbooks(wb2).Sheets(i).Range("I3").Copy Workbooks(wb1).Sheets(j).Range("C3")
        Exit For      'stop the wb1 loop
      End If
    Next j
  Next i
End Sub

Hope this helps.

Tim

Upvote 0
Tim,

Thank you so much, that works very well. I just have one more question, please.

When I do this it copies the formatting from the old workbook, which I do not want. Is there a way to copy the text only?

Here is what I have

Sub DataTransfer()

Dim wb1 As String, wb2 As String
Dim i As Long, j As Long

wb1 = Workbooks("E Transport Group Accident & Incident Registry").Name
wb2 = Workbooks("Registry New Copy").Name

For i = 1 To Workbooks(wb2).Sheets.Count 'loop through old workbook sheets
For j = 1 To Workbooks(wb1).Sheets.Count 'search in new workbook for wb2 sheet name

If Workbooks(wb2).Sheets(i).Name = Workbooks(wb1).Sheets(j).Name Then

'Copy Truck Number
Workbooks(wb1).Sheets(i).Range("I3").Copy Workbooks(wb2).Sheets(j).Range("D3")
'Trl
Workbooks(wb1).Sheets(i).Range("I4").Text.Copy Workbooks(wb2).Sheets(j).Range("D4")
'Chassis
Workbooks(wb1).Sheets(i).Range("I9").Text.Copy Workbooks(wb2).Sheets(j).Range("D5")
'Commodity
Workbooks(wb1).Sheets(i).Range("I6").Text.Copy Workbooks(wb2).Sheets(j).Range("D6")
'Accident City
Workbooks(wb1).Sheets(i).Range("B5").Text.Copy Workbooks(wb2).Sheets(j).Range("B5")
'Accident State
Workbooks(wb1).Sheets(i).Range("B6").Text.Copy Workbooks(wb2).Sheets(j).Range("B6")
'Injury
Workbooks(wb1).Sheets(i).Range("M2").Text.Copy Workbooks(wb2).Sheets(j).Range("F1")

Upvote 0
Absolutely!

change

Code:
Workbooks(wb2).Sheets(i).Range("I3").Copy Workbooks(wb1).Sheets(j).Range("C3")

to

Code:
Workbooks(wb2).Sheets(i).Range("I3").Copy 
Workbooks(wb1).Sheets(j).Range("C3"). pasteSpecial paste:=xlPasteValues

That will retain the value and not the formatting.

Happy to help.

Tim

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
punka6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back