honeybhattal

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B69LhOObJF1XQ2ViQVJEczducW8&authuser=0

Here is a link to my simple excel file.

There is a problem in using the match function. You can edit the ranges filled with light yellow to get the results filled with sky blue. The problem is with cell F9. Even when the value in E9 is the same (F9 has a match function which matches value in E9) for different values in E11, F9 sometimes fail to deliver the value and simply puts a 0(Iserror function). I extracted the formula from these cells to K17 and K18. I want to know why is this #N/A error occuring. If i replace the cell K17 with the same number as displayed, in K17 (as obtained from the formula in K17), the formula in K18 works.

I am unable to catch the issue. Somebody please help.

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Your links says I have to ask for permission to access the file ... so I've clicked Request Permission.

Upvote 0
It's strange ... it seems like a real number mismatch, which can sometimes happen in Excel ... it all starts working if you put a ROUND function around the formula in E9:
Code:
=ROUND(IF(AND(ROUNDUP(E11,1)>1.5,ROUNDUP(E11,1)<1.75),1.5,IF(AND(ROUNDUP(E11,1)>1.75,ROUNDUP(E11,1)<2),1.75,ROUNDUP(E11,1))),3)

Upvote 0
Thanks, Glenn. Your help much solved the problem for now but i would like to know how to detect this kind of problems and how to find a solution. Or in other words, how did you know it was a real number mismatch?? is this a bug in excel??

Upvote 0
I suspected it could be solved by putting a ROUND around it because I've seen this kind of problem so often ... if you are matching real numbers ( not integers ) exactly, this is one of the things that happens. It's just one of the things to consider when doing real number comparisons.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back