Match Function Error?

mitalia81

The match function is returning the wrong value. This is an amortization schedule I made and for some reason the match function only returns the wrong value for a 20 year loan term. If I change the year at the top of my spreadsheet to 21 years or 30 years, for example, match will return the correct value.

In the picture, the payoff value should be 240, not 241.
pizykq2bz

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Hi.

I assume that you have the Show a zero in cells that have zero value option (File/Options/Advanced) unchecked, such that any zeroes in your workbooks are not displayed within their cells?

If so, it could be difficult for you to distinguish between cells which are genuinely empty and cells which contain a zero though which, with this setting applied, also appear empty.

The bottom line is that, since you are using a lookup_value of 0 within your MATCH function, based on your result I would surmise that cell F250 does not actually contain a zero at all, though cell F251 does.

Regards

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi.

I assume that you have the Show a zero in cells that have zero value option (File/Options/Advanced) unchecked, such that any zeroes in your workbooks are not displayed within their cells?

If so, it could be difficult for you to distinguish between cells which are genuinely empty and cells which contain a zero though which, with this setting applied, also appear empty.

The bottom line is that, since you are using a lookup_value of 0 within your MATCH function, based on your result I would surmise that cell F250 does not actually contain a zero at all, though cell F251 does.

Regards

Thank you for your Reply. I actually had done conditional formatting AND had the zero value option unchecked, but last night I found out that the value in that cell was actually a decimal going back about 12 decimal places!! You're right, the number wasn't an absolute zero. I fixed the issue with the round function in that column going back 6 decimal places so as not to affect loan payments over time.

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peppernaut

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back