Median Test

srdavisgb

Board Regular
Greetings:

I am trying to build-up a formula to perform a median test (e.g., chi square) on a set of data. There are a number of conditions that need to be applied when looking up the data that is complicating the formula. Below is a subset of the data in my worksheet. I'm using two tables: the first four columns represent the data in my worksheet and the last two column respresent a summary table. Eventually, I will build out the second table to calculate a chi square statistic on the values in each level.

First Question: In the Median cell I have the following formula: =IF($A$2:$A$14=1,MEDIAN($B$2:$B$14),0). As you can see, I'm getting a result of 28261. However, I would expect a result of 29222 because it is mid-way among all values with a level value equal to 1. Actually, 28621 is the median for all values in the data column, so my formula is not recognizing the condition of level=1. What is the correct formula to calculate the median for the values in the Data column that are equal to level 1?

Second Question: Notice the Median for Level 2 is also incorrect.I would expect a value of 25016. What is the correct formula to calculate the median for the values in the Data column that are equal to level 2?

Third Question: In the Above/Below Median column (column D) I have the following formula: =IF(B2>VLOOKUP(A2,$f$3:$g$11,2),1,0). In the third column (column H) of the second table (No. Above Median in Group A) I have the following formula: =countif(vlookup(F2,A2:D16,4)=1,0). Obviously, this formula is not working in column H. How do I get the number of Group A's in Level 1 that have Above/Below Median of 1? Basically, I want to know how many subjects in Level 1, Group A have a score above the Median.

Thanks, in advance, for your assistance.

A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
Level
Data
Group
Above/Below Median
Level
Median
No. Above Median in Group A
A
FALSE
A
FALSE
B
B
B
A
B
A
B
A
B
B
A
B

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
1. =MEDIAN(IF($A$2:$A$14=1, $B$2:$B$14))

The formula MUST be confirmed with Ctrl+Shift+Enter instead of just Enter.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamil ahmed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back