Medians and context issues in DAX

srizzo123

I am having an issue that I am hoping some more experienced DAX programmers may be able to help me with. This problem is cross-posted on StackOverflow here (excel - Medians and slicers in DAX - Stack Overflow) with no answers so far.

I have been trying to develop a dashboard in Excel 2013 / PowerPivot / PowerView and one of the graphics I would like to display is a line chart of median performance by hour of day. I would then like to filter the data set with my performance metrics based on a separate field, and link that to a slicer. The medians should be calculated relative to the filtered data set. For the median calculation I am trying to adapt the formula proposed by Marco Russo here (SQLBI - Marco Russo : Median calculation in DAX).

To illustrate the problem, suppose that I have two tables - main_table and other_table. Main_table has 4 fields - RowID, hour_of_day, performance_metric, and category. Other_table has two fields - hour_of_day and median_field. My goal is to find a formula for median_field such that it shows the median performance metric by hour of day, but can still be sliced by category. The formula I tried to use for the medians was

Code:
<code>=CALCULATE(MINX(FILTER(VALUES(main_table[performance_metric]), CALCULATE(COUNTA(main_table[performance_metric]), main_table[performance_metric] <= EARLIER(main_table[performance_metric])) > COUNTA(main_table[performance_metric]/2), main_table[performance_metric]), FILTER(main_table, main_table[hour_of_day] = EARLIER(other_table[hour_of_day]))) </code>

However, when I create a slicer based on category in main_table, my chart does not seem affected by the slicer. My understanding was that by putting main_table as opposed to ALL(main_table) as the first argument in the last FILTER call, my median calculations would be subject to slices and filters applied to main_table. Am I missing something obvious here?

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
I took a look at the formula, but it's not clear to me whether it's a measure (calculated field) or a calculated column. If it's in a measure (calculated field) it's not clear to me what you are doing with "other table" in the EARLIER statement. If you can post a sample repro workbook it would be simpler to take a look at the formula.

Upvote 0
Sorry - I tend to mix up calculated fields and calculated columns. The formula is for the calculated column median_field in other_table. I will update the original post with a link to a sample file.

Upvote 0
You cannot use a calculated column in this case. Calculated columns are computed at process time and store the result into the Power Pivot table *before* you do any query.
If you want your calculation to be affected by the slicer, you have to create a measure (aka calculated field in Excel 2013).
You should do this in two steps:
1) Create the relationship between the two tables using the HOD column
2) Create the Median calculated field using the following DAX code:

Code:
Median :=
MINX (
    FILTER (
        VALUES ( main_table[Performance_metric] ),
        CALCULATE (
            COUNTROWS ( main_table )
            main_table[Performance_metric]
                <= EARLIER ( main_table[Performance_metric] )
        )
            > COUNTROWS ( main_table ) / 2
    ),
    main_table[Performance_metric]
)

Let me know if this works for you.

Upvote 0
That does work - the measure changes when I adjust the slicer. Unfortunately I will need a lot of measures - in the actual application I want to plot the medians of at least 5 different performance metrics by hour of day (that can still be sliced by other categories) - but if calculated columns are pre-computed then measures are really my only option. Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0
Hello Guys!

I need to create a pivot with median (MS Office Pro 2010). I tried to define a measure with code indicated above, however I get a pop up, that syntax of calculate is incorrect. Could you please help me? I haven't changed anything in the code but table and column names.

Przechwytywanie.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hopkinsr

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back