Merging multiple spreadsheet ranges into a single array AND outputting an array from Excel's Histogram subroutine

Dewey32

Hello -

I'm still a novice to VBA programming and I have written a piece of code (see below) that - in theory does the following:

- Takes multiple ranges of integer numbers from a worksheet and puts them a single array
- Then, takes the resulting array and ingests it into Excel's Histogram function. The output is 2-diemension histogram array in pareto format.

Hopefully this example will better illustrate what I am trying to do.

My integer numbers are contained in a spreadsheet that looks like this:

1 3 4
5 7 6
4 8 9
1 4 6
2 3 8
8 1 6
Each number is in its own cell, s,o for example, the first 3-number data set, 1 3 4, is housed in cells A1, B1 and C1 respectively.

Using the above 3-number data sets, I would like to make 4-way "pseudo-permutation" combinations of all 3-number data sets shown above. For example, this is what would be contained in one of the resulting "pseudo-permutated" combination arrays:

1 3 4 5 6 7 4 8 9 1 4 6 (Note: I added additional spaces between 3-number data set shown in my examples to help the reader better visualize the four, 3-number data sets that would contained one array. Of course the actual array would not have such spacing.)

I say "pseudo-permutation" because I want my VBA loops to permit duplicate 3-number data sets to occur in any array but that each combination be unique. So to clarify, this array would be ok,

1 3 4 1 3 4 5 7 6 4 8 9

but this array

1 3 4 5 7 6 816 4 8 9 would not be ok, if this combination

1 3 4 5 6 7 4 8 9 816 had been generated earlier. This is because they both contain the same four 3-number data sets only arranged differently.

Since each "pseudo-permutated" combination array is comprised of four, 3-number data sets - and each 3-number data set is a range of Excel cells - I went online to see how I could merge multiple excel ranges into one array. I found this site (excel vba how to copy the value of multiple non-contiguous ranges into an array - Stack Overflow) and tried to adapt the code to my situation. When I try and run the macro, it results in the following error

Run-time error '1004':
Method 'Range' of object'_Worksheet'failed

and the debugger takes me to the commented area of my code (see below code). Can I use the loop indexes to denote the ranges within my spreadsheet? Yes? No? Can someone tell me what is not working with my attempt to merge multiple Excel ranges into a single array?

Finally, using Excel's record macro option, I generated a pareto histogram that I later cut/paste/adapted into the below code. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me if I have edited this correctly. A couple of notes on this:
• summaryTempArray() is the input array (AKA "Input Range")into the histogram function. It is the same is the same array that contains the four 3-number data sets.
• ("$T$1:$AC$1") points to the spreadsheet values containing the "Bin Range" needed to form the histogram
• Is there a way to get a 2-D array out of the histogram function showing the bun # and corresponding frequencies?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I really appreciate you taking the time to see what I am not seeing with my code.

Sub Four3numberDataSetPermutation ()

Dim summaryTempArray() As Variant
Dim RangeArray(1, 10) As Long
Dim i As Long
Dim j As Long
Dim k As Long
Dim l As Long
Dim m As Long
Dim n As Long
Dim iStartRow
Dim jStartRow
Dim kStartRow
Dim mStartRow
Dim NumberOfColumns
Dim NumberOfRows

iStartRow = 1
jStartRow = 1
kStartRow = 1
mStartRow = 1
NumberOfColumns = 3
NumberOfRows = 120

For i = iStartRow To NumberOfRows Step 1
For j = jStartRow To NumberOfRows Step 1
For k = kStartRow To NumberOfRows Step 1
For m = mStartRow To NumberOfRows Step 1

With Sheet12

' the next line of code is where my macro seems to fail

ReDim summaryTempArray(1 To .Range("iStartRow:NumberOfColumns,jStartRow:NumberOfColumns,kStartRow:NumberOfColumns, mStartRow:NumberOfColumns").Areas.Count)

For n = 1 To .Range("iStartRow:NumberOfColumns,jStartRow:NumberOfColumns,kStartRow:NumberOfColumns, mStartRow:NumberOfColumns").Areas.Count
summaryTempArray(n) = .Range("iStartRow:NumberOfColumns,jStartRow:NumberOfColumns,kStartRow:NumberOfColumns, mStartRow:NumberOfColumns").Areas(n)
Next n
End With

' This is where the histogram is generated
Application.Run "ATPVBAEN.XLA!Histogram", summaryTempArray(), _
"", .Range("$T$1:$AC$1"), True, False, False, False

Next m
mStartRow = mStartRow + 1
Next k
kStartRow = kStartRow + 1
Next j
jStartRow = jStartRow + 1
Next i

MsgBox ("Done")
End Sub

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back