Minimum Date problems

clumsy-xceller

Hi I am having trouble with finding an earliest date in a series. Let me explain how I have the sheet set up.

basically its a rental cost calculator,

I have a series of rows in which the user can select whats to be rented, date in and date out. I have 2 columns which check to see that the user has selected a product to rent ie "ISO" or "FLEXI" and not "None" and then transfers the date in and date out from the corresponding collumns. (this may seem a roundabout way of doing this but I have further plans for these extra collumns. If the user has selected "None" then the extra date cells will contain "Not Active" I want to find the minimum of the extra ADatein column and maximum of the ADateout column.

ie

A--------- B---------- C---------- D----------- E----------- F--------
ADatein----ADateout --Product ----Datein ----Dateout

Not Active- Not Active-- None---- 4/6/2010--- 4/6/2010
4/6/2010-- 20/6/2010--- ISO----- 4/6/2010--- 20/6/2010
5/6/2010-- 29/6/2010--- FLEXI---- 5/6/2010-- 29/6/2010

Min Date--- Max Date

I have tried MIN(A3:A5) and get a result of 0, even if all 3 rows have a date in them I still get a 0?? I assume it has something to do with the formulas in A and B.

Collumn B contains this formula filled down
=IF(C3<>"None",D3,"Not Active")

Can anyone Help

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
If you get zero for MIN even when the cells contain dates then probably those dates are text formatted - what do you have in columns D and E, are there formulas in those columns?

Upvote 0
Yes these cells are filled by a formula

=IF(F22<>"NONE",G22,"Not Active")

F22 is the Product collumn and G22 is the Date collumn.

I see what you are saying that when the argument <>"NONE" is met then the cell is filled by a text version of the date column. I have formatted the columns in date format but that didnt help either.

Upvote 0
Sorry just reread your reply,

D and E are linked to calendar dropdowns. so the cells are filled with dates selected from the calendar dropdown.

Upvote 0
If you get zero for MIN even when the cells contain dates then probably those dates are text formatted - what do you have in columns D and E, are there formulas in those columns?

Next Clue, I find If I enter a date manually into the cell that is linked to the dropdown date picker the rest of the formulas work fine. But if I use the date picker it doesnt and I am back to the 0 result

Upvote 0
Try changing your column A and B formulas like this

=IF(C3<>"None",D3+0,"Not Active")

The +0 hould convert a text-formatted date to a true date, you might have to format the cells with the required date format

Upvote 0
Try changing your column A and B formulas like this

=IF(C3<>"None",D3+0,"Not Active")

The +0 hould convert a text-formatted date to a true date, you might have to format the cells with the required date format

Brilliant I was trying a macro to do the same job but couldnt manage it, thi does the trick perfectly

Thanks Alot

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back