Mixed Excel Version User Community and 2013 Crashes

PoggiPJ

My user community is mixed among 2003, 2007, 2010, and 2013 (lucky me). The workbook must be passed between and edited by users on all of these platforms, and is always saved in Excel 97-2003 xls format. The workbook is stable in all of the platforms except 2013. There is no identifiable pattern as to when 2013 presents the "Excel is closing, recovering your file..." message. This is a large, but not complicated workbook. No graphs, pivot tables, databases... just lots of tabs, macros and formulas. My only "suspect" at the moment is that (because we still have 2003 users) I cannot yet use the Ribbon to control menus, so I use commands like the following when opening or becoming active..
Code:
MenuBars(xlWorksheet).Reset
'------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Add the top-level DEALMAKER TOOLS menu to the Worksheet CommandBar
'------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Set MenuObject = Application.CommandBars(1). _
                    Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlPopup, _
                    Before:=10, _
                    temporary:=True)
                MenuObject.Caption = "ELA Tools"
and then
Code:
MenuBars(xlWorksheet).Reset
when closing or switching to a different workbook. This has not been a problem to date because these menus simply appear as Add-Ins and have been working fine. Is there a known conflict between 2013 the the old menu commands or should I be looking elsewhere for the cause?

Most users are on 64bit Win 7, with 32 bit installations of Excel 2007, 2010, or 2013. The 2003 users are of course on Win XP

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
My goodness - Has no one else run into this problem where users are at different excel levels, with Excel 2013 closing (and "repairing") the workbook??

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mwdbActuary

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back