Mod 10

tanyaleblanc

Board Regular
Does anyone recognize this, I'm trying to figure out how this calculation works.

Weight 371371, sum of values, Mod 10, Modulus – sum mod modulus

The digits I want to use are 0193383910838108

The answer is 4 and looks like this - 019338394

Can anyone break this down step by step in Excel vs. calculator.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
It may just be me, but I cannot figure out what you are asking for. What does the "Weight" number have to do with what you want? What do you mean "the answer is 4 and looks like this - 019338393"? Where does the 4 come from? What does it have to do with the number 019338393? I think you might get more (better) answers if you explain in more detail what you are trying to do.

Upvote 0
It may just be me, but I cannot figure out what you are asking for. What does the "Weight" number have to do with what you want? What do you mean "the answer is 4 and looks like this - 019338393"? Where does the 4 come from? What does it have to do with the number 019338393? I think you might get more (better) answers if you explain in more detail what you are trying to do.
Hi, I'm not exactly sure how to explain, but I"m looking to see how to use the below formula in excel. I want to use the check digit 01933839 vs. 139 in the example below.

Luhn algorithm. This algorithm, also known as the "modulus 10" or "mod 10" algorithm, is very common. For example, it's the algorithm used by credit card companies to generate the final digit of a credit card.

Given an identifier, let's say "139", you travel right to left. Every other digit is doubled and the other digits are taken unchanged. All resulting digits are summed and the check digit is the amount necessary to take this sum up to a number divisible by ten.

Got it? All right, lets try the example.

Work right-to-left, using "139" and doubling every other digit.
9 x 2 = 18
3 = 3
1 x 2 = 2
Now sum all of the digits (note '18' is two digits, '1' and '8'). So the answer is '1 + 8 + 3 + 2 = 14' and the check digit is the amount needed to reach a number divisible by ten. For a sum of '14', the check digit is '6' since '20' is the next number divisible by ten.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back