MOD function "feature"

quisizyx

Greets- Ran into bogosity where MOD (N,12) gives a result of 12 when N is evenly divided by 12 so should give a result of 0! Any1 run into this B4? Samsung Tab Pro 12.3 inch tablet w/Android running office suite app Polaris.

Greets- I have been having issues with posting to the site. Decided to try my phone. Using 2 different browsers on my tablet didn't seem to get around the issue. Thought I would try a different device.
Have been playing with INT & MOD and wanted to post the results. Also wanted to post the source of the spreadsheet in case others wanted to futz w/it. Also found a site that has a definitive concise explanation of the floating point issue that I wanted to post here for those that would be interested. Kind of a pain to post using the phone but if this works will post in the next posting along with an interesting encounter of another Excel forum site.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
Greets- I posted a reply, I thought, to this thread but appears to somehow posted as a separate thread. This will be my last posting as I have had a number of issues w/posting here

I found an article on the floating point issue that explains in concise definitive detail why it occurs. For those interested go here :

https://blogs .office.com/2008/04/10/understanding-floating-point-precision-aka-why-does-excel-give-me-seemingly-wrong-answers/
In short it has to do with the conversion of base 10 to binary and back again w/a max of 15 digit precision thrown in for good measure. For those interested in the spreadsheet that started all this go here :

Build a Solar System Model | Exploratorium

After reading the article I went back and looked at the bogus feet and inches cells and the cell those called to arrive at their value. By adding a number of digits displayed to the source total inches value I discovered that it wasn't evenly divided as the actual value was 33,011.9980. Since I didn't have it displaying any digits beyond the decimal the cell displayed the value rounded up to a whole number. Excel remembered and used the actual number when INT & MOD functions were used instead of the rounded up value displayed in the cell. The article mentions the ROUND fix as well as another fix that uses the value displayed.

Thanx every1 for your assistance. I hope the article helps those interested in this problem.

As mentioned above I will be leaving this forum and have my account removed. When using my tablet I kept having issues posting to this site. At first it kept insisting that I refresh and login again even tho the top of the page indicated I was still logged in. After logging in again the site would take me back to the post I was attempting and was able to submit it. After a few times it finally would not refresh so I could no longer post. I emailed the website manager and the Mr Excel tech people and got one response that I should check the "Remember me" box on log in, something I never had to do with any of the many sites I have visited. The other response was that I should clear cookies and try again as it could be a bogus cookie. I didn't think this likely as I tried 2 different browsers with the same results. If both browsers managed to get the same bogus cookie then I would have thought that there would have been others who would have had the same problem. I tried clearing cache and data with no joy.

I decided to try another site so after a search I tried Excel Forum. To my surprise I found the original posting that started this thread on this site. There were replies to this posting that I had not seen since I had never visited this site before. This site's graphic design and layout was a virtual clone of the Mr Excel site w/the only immediately obvious difference being the title / name of the site and the color scheme. I discovered that my username and password worked on this site. Attempting to post to this site gave me the same issues that the Mr Excel site.

Since I couldn't use my tablet I am using my phone to post to this site. So far there appears to be no issues with posting using my Android phone.

Since they indicate they have had no reports from anyone else about this issue I suspect some background process is taking issue with something in the communication stream from the site. I suspect either the firewall or antivirus apps. I am leary of testing this theory by killing one or both just to see if this is the problem. Instead I will leave this forum and have my account removed. I have found an Excel forum that doesn't have these issues like all the other sites I have visited. Thanx 4 Ur feedback and assistance & wish U all well.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jahmia0616

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back