Board Regular
I was wondering if there is a formula to check this out

if someone takes personal day it is 1 occurrance

but if they have more then 1 day in a row off it is 1 occurrance

example

4/24/06 personal day 1 occurrance

6/24/06 personal day
6/25/06 personal day

instead of these being 2 single occurrances it is consider 1 occurrance for the 2 days off in a row, but this can be more then 2 days also

so what i need to show is that the person only has 2 occurrance and not 3

Try:

Code:
{=SUM(--ISNA(MATCH(A1:A10+IF(WEEKDAY(A1:A10,2)=5,3,1),A1:A10,0))*(B1:B10<>"a")*(A1:A10>(TODAY()-90)))}

But, this is going to open a whole new can of worms with holidays. What if Monday is a holiday? Then do you count until Tuesday? What if Tuesday is a holiday? Do you count Monday and Wednesday as one occurrence? Since you cannot use WORKDAY as an array formula, I'm not sure how you would do this without adding a new column...

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
thanks

I am not sure, questions I will have to ask.

Thanks for the help reallyappreciate it

Upvote 0
answers

personal day on friday and following monday is 1 occurrence not 2

Personal days before and after holiday is 1 occurrence

so now really opens the can of worms

Upvote 0
I think you'd have to add another column with

Code:
B1=--ISNA(MATCH(WORKDAY(A1,1,$H$1:$H$25),$A$1:$A$100,0))

Where A1:A100 is your list of dates and H1:H25 has your list of holidays (stored as Excel dates). The sum of column B will be the total number of "occurrences".

Edit: corrected error in formula that had C's instead of H's

Upvote 0
Try:

Code:
{=SUM(--ISNA(MATCH(A1:A10+IF(WEEKDAY(A1:A10,2)=5,3,1),A1:A10,0))*(B1:B10<>"a")*(A1:A10>(TODAY()-90)))}

But, this is going to open a whole new can of worms with holidays. What if Monday is a holiday? Then do you count until Tuesday? What if Tuesday is a holiday? Do you count Monday and Wednesday as one occurrence? Since you cannot use WORKDAY as an array formula, I'm not sure how you would do this without adding a new column...

I have been lurking here, watching with amazement as you come up with more complex formulas each time a new wrinkle is added. However, why did the Friday - Monday issue open up a whole new can of Holiday worms. Wasn't the Holiday issue there before the weekend issue came up. I mean what if someone is off on Wednesday, Thursday is Thanksgiving and is off on Friday?

Gene, "Looking for trouble", Klein

Upvote 0
thanks

the last formula you gave me is it to replace the other one, or do i need them both?

Upvote 0
the last formula you gave me is it to replace the other one, or do i need them both?

I got carried away and forgot about all the other rules.

C1=--AND(ISNA(MATCH(WORKDAY(A1,1,$H$1:$H$25),$A$1:$A$100,0)),B1<>"a",A1>(TODAY()-90))

Copied down then sum column C. You shouldn't need the other formulas, as there wasn't a way (at least, I am not aware of a way to) incorporate the WORKDAY formula into the array formula as before.

Upvote 0
thanks

Well hopefully the holiday thing will never happen, but there is always that one person that throws a monkey wrench into everything, and then thigns come to quick stop...LOL

Upvote 0
I have been lurking here, watching with amazement as you come up with more complex formulas each time a new wrinkle is added. However, why did the Friday - Monday issue open up a whole new can of Holiday worms. Wasn't the Holiday issue there before the weekend issue came up. I mean what if someone is off on Wednesday, Thursday is Thanksgiving and is off on Friday?

Gene, "Looking for trouble", Klein

Hi, Gene. The "can of Holiday worms" I was referring to is that it doesn't appear that WORKDAY can be used in an array formula. So, the one-stop-shop approach to a formula hit a road block when we started introducing the caveat that the day before/day after a holiday is counted as one occurrence. Hopefully the extra column workaround is sufficient for UPN's needs.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back