Multi-row sort problem

k2sul

Hi

I'm trying to put to together a scoring worksheet for a gun club I belong to. I've got it pretty much were I want it to be, but the final piece of the puzzle is to make it sort the final results for printout to be displayed on the club wall.

Col. Q details the final positions in the competition but I can't get a sort to work that will keep the 4 rows of data per competitor in order.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help point me in the right direction with this. I'm getting a bit of flak from the committee for not having this done. Guess its the last time I volunteer to help with something, but until then, I've got to sort it.

The worksheet can be viewed here :-

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8aClZJNFBAmeEpKM3JfNWhMNjg

I have looked long and hard to find the answer myself, and other than one VBA script (which I didn't understand) which seemed to fit the bill, I couldn't see a solution.

Many thanks

Sully

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Hi Sully,
I presume you mean to keep the three rows of data per competitor together not four rows.
I also presume that the score column is column P. If this is correct and you do not wish to have a macro you could do the following ~
Use a helper column
If column R is empty and your first score is in cell P2 then enter this formula in cell R2
=IF(P2="",R1,P2)
Cell R1 must be blank (no headers)
Fill down for as many rows of data you have.
Select/ (Highlight) A2 to the last cell in column R, in the name box type Datum, press enter. (The name box is immediately above the A in column A)
Now any time you wish to sort, click the triangle in the name box and click datum, then click sort, in the box that appears, sort by column R
You can hide column R if you wish.
Cheers,
Skinman

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
burgsrus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back