Multiple autosums with different size datasets

john69

Hello all. I first must say...I am a VBA newbie so please bear with me, but would like some help maybe even modifying a macro. I also know that the macro recorder itself is not the right place for autosumming.
I work daily with a spreadsheet that's downloaded from my company web site that I have to manually sort and group, which is not the issue here, this unfortunately has to be manual, however I would like to be able to click on a certain cell in column M, press a macro shortcut and get an auto-sum for the continguous dataset above it plus a blank row for columns M, N, O, P, X & Z.
The number of rows will always be different and I will need to sum many groups on 1 page. I may have a group of 25 items (from row 2-26) and want my sum in the above listed columns on row 28, then another group from rows 30-37 and the sum in row 39, etc...I really hope this makes sense and thank you in advance for any much needed assistance..

Sample code from macro recorder of what I am trying to do:

Sub autosum()
ActiveCell.Range("A1:D1").Select
Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R[-15]C:R[-1]C)"
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 11).Range("A1:C1").Select
Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R[-15]C:R[-1]C)"
ActiveCell.Offset(5, -11).Range("A1:D1").Select
Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R[-3]C:R[-1]C)"
ActiveCell.Offset(0, 11).Range("A1:C1").Select
Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R[-3]C:R[-1]C)"
ActiveCell.Offset(4, -11).Range("A1:D1").Select
Selection.FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R[-2]C:R[-1]C)"
End Sub

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Hi, John

Please try this in a dummy file.

Suggest you load it in the personal macros (post if you want explanation of that) and assign it to a shortcut key.

To run, select a cell in the last row (any column). Such as, select a cell row 26 - make it the active cell. Use the short cut key to run the code.

Move down to another cell, again last row of the block. Use the short cut key again.

It may do what you want; it may not...

cheers, Fazza

Code:
With ActiveCell
  .Offset(1).Resize(3).EntireRow.Insert Shift:=xlDown
  Union(Cells(.Row + 2, "M").Resize(, 4), Cells(.Row + 2, "X"), Cells(.Row + 2, "Z")).FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R" & .End(xlUp).Row & "C:R" & .Row & "C)"
End With

Upvote 0
PS John

I made an assumption that might be wrong: that there will always be more than 1 row being summed.

This is used in the code where .End(xlUp) finds the first row of the block being summed.

This is fine when there are cells above the active cell, though when there is only one row it will give the wrong answer.

For example, if you total rows 2:26 and then have 3 rows to the next block, starting in row 30. If the next block is only one row, that is only row 30, then the code needs modification.

F

Upvote 0
Actually, this is perfect, seems to work on all but the single rows, but hey, who needs to add a total to one line of data anyway? :) THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

I should have also added in the original post about the formatting of the "total" row. Do you think that you could help me format this row with bold font and green color?

Thanks again for your help!!

John

Upvote 0
I can help with that. ;) I've done the whole row, maybe not what you want...
Code:
With ActiveCell
  .Offset(1).Resize(3).EntireRow.Insert Shift:=xlDown
  Union(Cells(.Row + 2, "M").Resize(, 4), Cells(.Row + 2, "X"), Cells(.Row + 2, "Z")).FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R" & .End(xlUp).Row & "C:R" & .Row & "C)"
  With .Offset(2).EntireRow
    .Font.Bold = True
    .Interior.Color = vbGreen
  End With
End With

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back