Multiple conditional formatting???

LBTS

HELP!!! I've looked for an answer to my problem in the archives, but haven't found anything similar, and hope someone can help.

I have 2 columns of numbers. Here is an example:

Col. A Col. B
98.73 95.40
76.48 74.90
98.22 93.40
71.90 72.50

First requirement is to determine if Col. A number is greater than the adjacent Col B, number. If that condition is true, the Col. A number is changed to Bold type.

Second requirement is to determine if the Col. A number is also higher than 80. If that is true also, then I would like to add light blue background in the cell (along with the number in bold type).

This would result in the first 3 of the numbers in Col. A being boldened, and the Col. A cells containing 98.73 and 98.22 would be filled with a light blue background as well.

Is there an easy way to do this with conditional formatting?

TIA & Merry Christmas
LBTS

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.

dsgs

hi,

it is possible by adding a column with a simple if formula, this formula should result in A, B or C.

then you could use conditional formatting and add the 3 criteria....

hope this helps?!...

irresistible007

Board Regular
yes there is:

try this and tell me if you incurr problem

select first cell i.e. A1 goto conditional formatting select "formula is" type "=A1>B1" in adjacent box and choose formatting by clicking format. After selecting the format, push add>> button and this time put "formula is" type "=AND(A1>B1, A1>80)" in adjacent box and choose formatting by clicking format. Click ok when done and then simply use format painter down to the range (this is change automagically the formulas to A2 for cell A2 and A3 for cell A3 ...)

irresistible007

Board Regular
Hey Wait!!!! dont try.... me silly I forgot one thing ... lemme check and get back to you in few moments

irresistible007

Board Regular

ADVERTISEMENT

hey i checked and found this, but let me know if u found any prob buddy:

select A1 and goto Conditional formatting and select for 1st condition:

"Cell value is" - "Greater than" - 80 click format and set bold and bule color

then click add and select for 2nd condition:

"Cell value is" - "Greater than" - "=B1" click format and set bold then click ok

choose format painter brush and select all in Col A

irresistible007

Board Regular
Just to ensure when you give reference to cell ensure to remove $ signs or format painter will not do its job correctly

LBTS

ADVERTISEMENT

dsgs - huh?

irresistible007 - Unfortunately neither of those ideas worked, but I thank you and dsgs for trying.

Maybe this isn't possible (or I've stumped the band?).

If the number in A1 is larger than the number in B1 it should be in bold, always.
If the number in A1 is larger than the number in B1, AND it is also higher than 80, the number is bold because its higher than number in adjacent B column, and the cell has a blue background because it's higher than 80.

In my example numbers this would leave the first three numbers in column A in bold, and it would add a light blue background to cells A1 and A3. Cell A2 would have a number in bold because it is larger than the adjacent number in column B, but it would not get the blue background because it is not higher than 80.

daniels012

I never realized it but once the first condition is met in conditional formatting, it stops.

I know a macro could be created to do this... though I am not the one.

Hope someone can help,
Michael

daniels012

Got it!
I have your data in:
E5 thru F8
This is the conditional formatting for cell E5
Condition 1
Formula Is>>>>> =AND(E5>80,E5>F5)
Condition 2
CellValueIs>>>>>> Choose: Greater Than >>> =F5

That worked for me !