Multiple Search and Check in Excel

calvinc123

Hello I am trying to clean up a table to crosscheck some values where it is wrong. I am trying to write a formula that will capture all that I need. I have attempted the Countif function, but was unsuccessful. Here is what I am trying to do.

Account NameTaxation Status
John & Jill Sample IRATaxable
Jake Family TrustTaxable
Jim Sample Roth IRATaxable

<tbody>
</tbody>

The Taxation Status column is wrong for these different sample accounts. All IRAs need to be Tax Deferred, All Trusts need to be Taxable, All Roth IRAs need to be Non Taxable. I am trying to write a few formulas that will look up the information in Account Name column and based on a few key word such as "IRA" Roth IRA" or "Trust" and then cross check that with what is in the Taxation Status column. I would then like to change the status of the Taxation Status to parameters such as IRA = Tax Deferred, Trust = Taxable, Roth IRA = Non Taxable (as mentioned above). I know this is probably pretty simple, but you help is needed. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Hello I am trying to clean up a table to crosscheck some values where it is wrong. I am trying to write a formula that will capture all that I need. I have attempted the Countif function, but was unsuccessful. Here is what I am trying to do.

Account NameTaxation Status
John & Jill Sample IRATaxable
Jake Family TrustTaxable
Jim Sample Roth IRATaxable

<tbody>
</tbody>

The Taxation Status column is wrong for these different sample accounts. All IRAs need to be Tax Deferred, All Trusts need to be Taxable, All Roth IRAs need to be Non Taxable. I am trying to write a few formulas that will look up the information in Account Name column and based on a few key word such as "IRA" Roth IRA" or "Trust" and then cross check that with what is in the Taxation Status column. I would then like to change the status of the Taxation Status to parameters such as IRA = Tax Deferred, Trust = Taxable, Roth IRA = Non Taxable (as mentioned above). I know this is probably pretty simple, but you help is needed. Thanks!
Hi Calvin, welcome to the boards.

Based on your sample information (and assuming for the sake of argument that your Account Name header is in A1) the following formula could be used and drag filled down the length of column C:

Excel 2010
ABC
1Account NameTaxation StatusOutcome
2John & Jill Sample IRATaxableTax Deferred
3Jake Family TrustTaxableTaxable
4Jim Sample Roth IRATaxableNon Taxable

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet1

=IF(RIGHT(A2,8)="Roth IRA","Non Taxable",IF(RIGHT(A2,5)="Trust","Taxable","Tax Deferred"))

Now, this assumes that IRA, Trust or Roth IRA are always the last parts of the string in the cell. If these values are likely to be found anywhere in the cell the formulas will need to be overhauled. This also assumes that there are no other possibilities beyond the 3 outcomes you have mentioned.

Basically if the cell ends with Roth IRA the result is Non Taxable.
If the cell ends with Trust the result is Taxable.
For ALL other possibilities the result is Tax Deferred.

I'll admit this is a quick and non-flexible way of achieving the desired outcome. If any of my assumptions outlined above are incorrect then the formula will need to be reworked.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back