Multiple Table Auto-sort on Tab Select

thenapolitan

Board Regular
Hey All,

I'm looking for some code to auto-sort 5 separate tables I have in 1 sheet (Table1, Table2, Table3, Table4, Table5) automatically when I select that tab based on a rank I give them (rank being one column in each of the 5 tables).

I'd like to do this so that when my data changes on that sheet, I don't have to go through and manually sort the rank for each of the 5 tables.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any input you could give!

Cheers,

Chris

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Is the rank in the same (relative) column in each table?
If so, which column (number)?

Upvote 0
Is the rank in the same (relative) column in each table?
If so, which column (number)?

Yes, mainly, the rank value (whole number) is listed in column A, but the last table is listed in column B (I could modify my table so that all of the ranks are listed in column A if necessary).

I'd need to sort each table individually.

Upvote 0
.. code to auto-sort 5 separate tables I have in 1 sheet (Table1, Table2, Table3, Table4, Table5) automatically when I select that tab ..
.. the rank value (whole number) is listed in column A, but the last table is listed in column B ...
See if this does what you want.
Test in a copy of your workbook.

To implement ..

1. Right click the tables sheet name tab and choose "View Code".

2. Copy and Paste the code below into the main right hand pane that opens at step 1.

3. Close the Visual Basic window & test by selecting another worksheet then selecting the tables worksheet.

4. If using Excel 2007 or later your workbook will need to be saved as a macro-enabled workbook (*.xlsm)
Rich (BB code):
Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
  Dim tbl As ListObject
  Dim SortCol As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  For Each tbl In ActiveSheet.ListObjects
    If tbl.Name = "Table5" Then
      SortCol = 2
    Else
      SortCol = 1
    End If
    With tbl.Sort
      .SortFields.Clear
      .SortFields.Add Key:=tbl.DataBodyRange.Columns(SortCol), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending
      .Header = xlYes
      .MatchCase = False
      .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
      .SortMethod = xlPinYin
      .Apply
    End With
  Next tbl
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
See if this does what you want.
Test in a copy of your workbook.

To implement ..

1. Right click the tables sheet name tab and choose "View Code".

2. Copy and Paste the code below into the main right hand pane that opens at step 1.

3. Close the Visual Basic window & test by selecting another worksheet then selecting the tables worksheet.

4. If using Excel 2007 or later your workbook will need to be saved as a macro-enabled workbook (*.xlsm)
Rich (BB code):
Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
  Dim tbl As ListObject
  Dim SortCol As Long

Application.ScreenUpdating = False
  For Each tbl In ActiveSheet.ListObjects
    If tbl.Name = "Table5" Then
      SortCol = 2
    Else
      SortCol = 1
    End If
    With tbl.Sort
      .SortFields.Clear
      .SortFields.Add Key:=tbl.DataBodyRange.Columns(SortCol), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending
      .Header = xlYes
      .MatchCase = False
      .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
      .SortMethod = xlPinYin
      .Apply
    End With
  Next tbl
  Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

Peter - this worked wonderfully! As it turns out, each table does not start in the "A" column. I did not know this would recognize each object from where it starts (ie. if the object starts in column "C", then column "C" = column "1"). I already have a long list of code making this spreadsheet run, so I am already macro-enabled ;) Since my "rank" is listed in the first column of each object, I was able to remove your If-then-else statement. Works great. Thank you so much for your help!

Cheers!

Chris

Upvote 0
Peter - this worked wonderfully! As it turns out, each table does not start in the "A" column. I did not know this would recognize each object from where it starts (ie. if the object starts in column "C", then column "C" = column "1"). I already have a long list of code making this spreadsheet run, so I am already macro-enabled ;) Since my "rank" is listed in the first column of each object, I was able to remove your If-then-else statement. Works great. Thank you so much for your help!

Cheers!

Chris
That's all good news. Thanks for letting us know.
(The 4 numbered points are my copy/paste 'template' points, modified marginally where necessary, for any time I suggest worksheet code, so you always get the macro-enabled comment. :))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sousanna Aristiadou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back